Chick with no eyes

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
big al
Lively Laner

Chick with no eyes

Post by big al »

Hi

As some of you know i have hatched two batches of silkie chicks and now have 15 of them all are doing well but i have just had 6 quial hatch (4 last night and 1 through the night and 1 that was nearly out of the shell this morning) but on closer inspection it had dried off and was stuck in the egg but still alive so i began peeling off the shell as it had popped the top off already and then noticed its slightly smaller that the other 5 and has NO EYES i dont know what to do i dont think it will survive on its own do i try and hand rear it or do i dispatch it {cry}

Thanks Al
[center]BIG ALS ASYLUM FOR HENS AND FREINDS
(MY HOBBY IS MY LIFE)[/center]

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Chick with no eyes

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I would say as they need their eyes to be able to find their food it would be kinder to despatch it but really it's a decision for you.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

Totally Scrambled wrote:I would say as they need their eyes to be able to find their food it would be kinder to despatch it but really it's a decision for you.
Dom

Sadly I agree {cry}
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
big al
Lively Laner

Post by big al »

Hi

Thats what i thought but it died a couple of hours after i posted for the best i suppose i can concentrate on the 15 silkies and the remaing 5 quail.

Thanks Al
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

You are going to be very busy! :-D
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

{cry}

RIP and fly high little Quail {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kaeta44 »

Poor little thing, but probably much happier at the Rainbow Bridge now.
Mucky Cluckers – Tales from the chicken run. "An hilarious read" "Cried with laughter" "A really good read, I couldn't put it down". Buy this paperback from www.muckycluckers.co.uk

I'm Trish Colton on FB DTL
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Thank goodness you didn't have to make the decision, poor little thing it wouldn't have had a full life so the outcome is the best/ 15 SILKIES watch out Annie will be rustling {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

sandy wrote:Thank goodness you didn't have to make the decision, poor little thing it wouldn't have had a full life so the outcome is the best/ 15 SILKIES watch out Annie will be rustling {rofwl}

Dont think it hasn't crossed my mind Sandy +f+ how manysilkies would it take to make a flock - I only have 4 ? {rofwl}

Al, at least it didn't suffer, I had a chick that couldn't quite make it out of the shell but decided to leave well alone as sometimes nature knows best - tough though.
Also at least you have had support from the forum that maybe if something like it happens again, its not inhumane to bring the short life to an end.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
big al
Lively Laner

Post by big al »

Hi

Annie wrote:Dont think it hasn't crossed my mind Sandy how manysilkies would it take to make a flock - I only have 4 ?

lol annie i have 19 silkies altogether then the chicks - 4 breeding pairs and 1 white silkie boy just hangs around on his own with the turkeys and chickens.

The other 10 are chicks i raised from last year they are from a gold cockerel and a patridge hen (8) and the other two were a black silkie pair (but crossed not pure) the gold and patridge pair produced 3 patridge hens 2 gold looking cockerels and 3 white cockerels the black pair produced 1 white and 1 black cockerel. ( so yes 7 boys and 3 girls )

So its time for a bachlor pen i think lol

Al
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

sleep tight little chick {hug}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

big al wrote:Hi

Annie wrote:Dont think it hasn't crossed my mind Sandy how manysilkies would it take to make a flock - I only have 4 ?

lol annie i have 19 silkies altogether then the chicks - 4 breeding pairs and 1 white silkie boy just hangs around on his own with the turkeys and chickens.

The other 10 are chicks i raised from last year they are from a gold cockerel and a patridge hen (8) and the other two were a black silkie pair (but crossed not pure) the gold and patridge pair produced 3 patridge hens 2 gold looking cockerels and 3 white cockerels the black pair produced 1 white and 1 black cockerel. ( so yes 7 boys and 3 girls )

So its time for a bachlor pen i think lol

Al

Annie big al is coming to my house on the rescue day )w( sile}

bachelor pad {rofwl}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx