How much did your set up cost you?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Re: How much did your set up cost you?

Post by Steve valentine »

My current walk-in run cost around £240. The coop cost me just under £50 to make.

If you add up the cost of all the walk in runs and coops that came before it, it'll add up to a pretty penny >dowhat<

If you were to buy a walk in run of the same size and build quality as mine, you'd be looking at easily £800 +

I still say they are the best pets you could ever have, and I still kick myself everyday that I didn't get chooks years ago.
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Reading what you all said and knowing that hens really dont' care how "pretty" the set up looks, I've decided to convert the Wendy house into a coop instead of buying one. I've still got a birthday present outstanding, so ordered timber to make a walk in run. To start with I'll make it 4m x 3m and probably put 3-5 ex batts in it. I'll order the aviary wire next month.
Timber is £80, wire £40. Few bits of scrap wood to block the windows of the wendy house are free as we have a couple of pallets. Oh, am so excited now )c(
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Hills of Devon are usually cheapest for wire if you didn't already know that :)
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

HedgeHugger wrote:Hills of Devon are usually cheapest for wire if you didn't already know that :)

Yes, thank you, that's where I am ordering it from! :-D
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

Don't really want to think about how much our set up cost ,someone on this Forum used to get us to try and equate that to how much our first eggs cost us.

I think our first egg is now more expensive than the Faberge Eggs yike*

Eck >shrug<
beulah59
Longlasting Laner

Post by beulah59 »

You start with something and add more ... then get more hens, then change your set up ... then more hens, then a new house (we're not DIYers, so more expensive than it might be) ... and a bigger run ...

And so it goes on.

If you can build your own, I'm sure it's better. Esp if you can get supplies fairly inexpensively. But we decided the hens were our hobby. You can spend £££ on a hobby ... and we have! Of course, if I was starting over again, and knowing what I know now ... it would probably turn out much the same ...
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

My first coop was an old wendy house, it was wonderful.

Do yourself a favour and paint the interior white to show up any crawlies, also line the floor with cardboard as then you can just drag it out every week to make cleaning much easier.
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

Mrs B wrote:My first coop was an old wendy house, it was wonderful.

Do yourself a favour and paint the interior white to show up any crawlies, also line the floor with cardboard as then you can just drag it out every week to make cleaning much easier.

Wendy is such a bloomin spendthrift !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I mean who else can give away their old houses to chickens >shrug<
smiler48
Lively Laner

Post by smiler48 »

I really think it's an ongoing cost as you are always going bigger and better. Chickenless at the moment but just changing wooden coop for plastic then new hens x
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

smiler48 wrote:I really think it's an ongoing cost as you are always going bigger and better. Chickenless at the moment but just changing wooden coop for plastic then new hens x

Great move Smiler...we have a plastic shed converted ................Brilliant )t'