How much did your set up cost you?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

How much did your set up cost you?

Post by redd_angel55 »

We would love to get chickens again now that we finally moved and I've been searching the internet for timber and wire and found suppliers of both. I know what I'll use for a coop, but even though I've found the cheapest off all I'll need, it still adds up to nearly £300 and that's without the hens, feed and all the other extras.
First time round cost me much more, as I bought a ready made coop and run, which I soon after massively extended as it just wasn't big enough! So really paid for 2 runs! :?
I am just wondering how much did you spend on your set up?
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks

urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Re: How much did your set up cost you?

Post by urbanchicks »

Much more than I expected! Coop £500,run £600.

Maggie
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I thought not too bad , just over £100 for coop and about £120 for panels for run.
Then Corrugated plastic roof panels part way, then bit more fencing to make 2nd run,then Eck built 2nd coop for hospital/newbies use,then more fencing to divide our garden in half so we could at least have a bit to sit in should the sun shine, then a plastic beeq shed as the original hen house was getting a bit full - did I forget to mention I kept adding >ch< , then tarpaulin to complete the roof on the run, then more plastic roofing for the wee run as I had bought silkies and wanted to keep them in a fully sheltered run,then sand and stones because the drainage in the main run was awful and all the wet last year had turned it into a swamp.
Still to do - fully roof the main run with corrugated plastic. Also I gave the original henhouse to a friend who never did get around to using it so its at the top of 'our' bit of garden behind a tree and Eck is going to fence a small area of around it so this can become the new hospital/newbie wing.
THE WOODCHIPS WERE FREE THOUGH )c(
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Ours cost too much! Two bee and kuw plastic sheds at £70 each. Three plastic roof sheets @ £25. Initially we used pea netting, and Lizzie got out the first morning! About £40 on wire netting. We already had some netting, but it was large mesh.

Paving slabs we got from freecycle.

We already had the fence panels in place, and stapled netting up the sides to the roof spars. On one side we have a greenhouse, which saved a lot of netting and wood.

Wood for the roof frame was about £30.

Water container around £10, we initially bought small ones and they were inadequate.

Around the £275, with all the intial food, powders, flea products, etc.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I think the first one was around £150-£180ish, but was only small (bought a secondhand coop).
I dread to think what it is now, £180 for the shed, and we've extended the run a lot. Around £500 I would imagine! >dowhat<
That's not including all the chicken stuff (feeders, drinkers, tonics etc), woodchip, plants ect either!
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I think it was around £380, that was a Solway coop and a home built run. Mesh, wood nails, screws, staples etc soon add up !
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I initially bought a chicken cottage for 2 chooks for £130, but within a couple of weeks doubled my flock to 4, so bought a run for £80 (which I lent to someone and never got back }hairout{ ).

A year on I sold my cottage for £50 and bought a larger, solid coop for £100 and was given loads of old aviary panels.

So, it cost a bit, but had I realised what I wanted in the first place, it would have cost £100!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
splitpin
Learner Laner

Post by splitpin »

£95 for the initial coop and run, £35 for steel post bases, £70 for 2 losts og green wire netting, £35 for the posts,

the green house they live in was already in place and not been used

we inherited the 2nd coop with the 3 bantam silkies

and i already had the flags )t'

so £235 but i am sure there were extras that i will have missed

and then there are the feeder and water bottles. i already had plastic seled containers for the feed so didnt count those, also had 2 spare dustbins for putting the used bedding in before filling the wheelie bin
the success of a person is not measured in money but in how many toys they have
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Our first coup cost us £120 and the wood was free from my OH firm (being thrown out) the wiring for Walk-in-Run was about £50 . ..After the first soggy weekend £30 for a plastic roof .
Then we added some new girls and so an extra coup £60 and a bigger Walk-in-Run ..wire £30 wood free.
About £290 plus all the feeders,water bowls ,wood chip , sanatizing stuff etc., etc ., and worth every single penny would spend double if I had the money .......
My husbands time building it all priceless
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Post by boosmummy »

A bloomin fortune so far!! 70 for the old house, 124 for their new house, 150 for my 6x6x6 run 75 forth 6 x6x3 run x
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I really don't want to add it all up, but here's a rough guide:

We inherited one coop with the 4 hens that had been living in it. We had a hard standing laid for our garage before we discovered that we didn't have full access to it so there was £1200 wasted. We then had the builder who was working on the house build a 12x15 run from scratch and half cover the roof with plastic wiggly sheeting (don't know the proper name). Think that was about £300. Then we wanted a good sized outdoor run - more fencing and posts - but we got some recycled timber for those so only about maybe £30. We've changed the layout a couple of times but no further expense as we've reused stuff.

Of course by this time I'd got more hens, so we bought another coop for about £130.

Oh blimey - I knew working this out was a mistake!
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
wendio
Lively Laner

Post by wendio »

I dread to think - when all added up. We have just finished a new walk in run. I am trying to upload pictures but having problems doing so.

We got the fox proof mesh panels from Meshstock, quite a good price, the wood was quite expensive, as the husband made a roof for the run also. But we are hoping it will be so much easier, chickens happier and last longer. The coop that had a run that we bought originally really wasnt good enough. But i expect many people start with these Cocoon type runs, and extend!!

All in all, i would say between £300-£400. But well worth doing properly first time around. Save money in the long run in my opinion.

I will try again to upload pictures.

Wendy xx
Keeper of Chickens, Lover of Firefighters, mother of two.[/color]
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Easily into 4 figures, without the hens.
I haven't needed to modify it in any way-------------------------------yet! :-D
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

It soon adds up doesn't it? :?
I am a bit wiser now after buying a ready made run which was supposed to be big enough for 10 hens, but soon realised that is it not even big enough to keep 2 guinea pigs in }hairout{
All worth it though...even if each egg realistically costs us £10 each {rofwl}
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

:oops: now I've thought about it.

Original coop and run cost £120, within a week decided the run wasn't big enough so another £70 for the extension. A year later decided that crawling on all fours to get into the run wasn't what I had in mind and the hassle of waiting for the wood to dry! £350 later for new roofed walk in run and £100 for plastic shed I was happy for a few months! Umm now what do I do with any new chickens or if I have as poorly girl so £400 later a lovely green cube sorted..........................or so I thought! Want another walk in covered run to attached to the other one so that's another £350 next week! I am happy with it all now I promise :oops:

Now if only I had found this forum before I started to keep chickens!
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx