red mite?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

red mite?

Post by boosmummy »

I tell you what, penny rogers chicken is slowly becoming the bane of my life!! After i seem to have got the scaly leg mite under control (it turns out she had it when i bought her!) I caught her today and had a good look at her because shes not laying and she has a white mucky bum. but all around the area she has these tiny little mites, right at the bottom of her feathers were the skin is, only around her mucky bum area though no where else on her. Cue checking the other chicken, they have none, not a jot. i gave them a complete looking over and couldnt find anything at all. is this red mite? what else could it be?

right since writing this, ive had a look on the internet and they look like chicken lice, not red mite! Whats the best way to treat this?
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!

LisaB

Re: red mite?

Post by LisaB »

Hello )wav(

It doesn't sound like redmite, redmite live in the coop (although you may find the odd one on a chook), if you run a white paper towel around the coop you will get red smudges on the towel if it is redmite )t'

Our last lot of ex-batts came with lice, they were pale the size of a grain of rice. I treated them all (even the ones that didn't have them) with frontline for cats, one drop on the base of the neck (make sure it's on the skin) and within two days they were all gone :-D

Hope she's better soon x
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Using diatomaceous earth in the coop, bedding and any dust baths, and dusting the hens with it will help as well.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

Johnson's make a special louse powder and I found it the only thing that finally got rid of them on my birds last summer. We'd used all the usual DE, etc. and sprays before the Johnson's Louse Powder to no avail - they just kept coming back!

One good dusting on both hens and in the house did it for us and I hope you manage the same trick )t'

The Johnson's powder is in a pink and white tub, costs about £7 I think and is available from any small pet shop that uses a Batley's wholesaler or similar. Their general mite powder doesn't clear them fully, so it's best to use both mite and louse powders to clear off all parasites. Good luck!
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Twice I've had new hens come with lice & both times used Frontline for cats drops, got rid of every bug and so easy to do. Best to treat all the hens at the same time. I've
never had seen the lice again so I reckon the diatom about the place keeps them
at bay.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

kitla wrote:Twice I've had new hens come with lice & both times used Frontline for cats drops, got rid of every bug and so easy to do. Best to treat all the hens at the same time. I've
never had seen the lice again so I reckon the diatom about the place keeps them
at bay.

)t' good advice above I too use front line as advised by the vet but mine is the spray bottle so easy ,I too use johnsosns lice and mite powder all in the coop bedding dustbaths and on the birds little jack calls it chicken talc )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Post by boosmummy »

thanks everyone x

Follow my blog:

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
beulah59
Longlasting Laner

Post by beulah59 »

We use Frontline, too ... what do folk on here do about egg withdrawal after using it?
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Post by boosmummy »

beulah59 wrote:We use Frontline, too ... what do folk on here do about egg withdrawal after using it?

I was wondering this to beulah, also I was wondering does it make them drowsy?

Follow my blog:

beulah59
Longlasting Laner

Post by beulah59 »

Drowsy? Not that I've noticed ...