Chicken update

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
LisaB

Chicken update

Post by LisaB »

Hi everyone - sorry I haven't been online, thought I'd just take a break and focus on myself and the hens for a bit.

As you know I had a bad flare up last week, a few days later I caught a cold so I think the flare up was just that brewing, still not over it but the weather sure has helped )t'

I know some people wont agree - but I do hope you understand - but I decided to not go back to the vets and just see how things went for the time being. I couldn't find anyone who knew about tylan or chickens and having spent quite a bit already and the medicine having no affect on Charlotte (and her getting no worse either) I decided to just see how she got on, obviously if she became any worse the first thing I would do is take her back to the vet.

They've not been on medication for over a week now, no one else has caught whatever Charlotte has so I'm not sure it is an infection, there's no mucus or discharge like Summer has when she first arrived. I cleared the coop out and put newspaper down instead in case the woodshavings were irritating her - there is definitely an improvement but she still sneezes, just not very often. Other than this she (and all the others) are absolutely fine, she's like a normal (very chatty!) chicken in every other way. So will keep an eye on her and get her to the vets if anything changes, but she seems to be on the mend >fi<

Thank you so much to everyone who has been concerned and sent me messages, it is so much appreciated.
I know a few recommended rehoming the hens but I'd just been through too much to then also try and find a home for a flock with a sick hen, and also not wanting to rehome them at all. I find them really therapeutic and great for keeping me moving too when they're all healthy and happy, so decided to stick with it.

All the chicks are doing great too, they had their first time outside this weekend.

{hug}

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Chicken update

Post by Linda S »

Hi Lisa its lovely to have you back and am glad you decided what you wanted to do for yourself and your girls and got things sorted {hug}

When Hope had been poorly she did a funny little snezzy cough thing for ages but it eventually stopped so dont worry on that score, and you always get help when your girls need it as we well know :-D

The babbies are coming on great and really growing fast.
Wellcome back again and take care {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

Hi Lisa how lovely to see you back again. I did send you a message but not sure it sent so didn't send another as if you got it didn't want you to think I was stalking you {rofwl}

Your chicks are very pretty and I don't blame you at all about the vets, sometimes it's best to wait a while. I lost one of my old girls last week {cry}

Glad you are on the mend )t'
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

suxh good news lisa glad you are back on track those hens are a sight for sore eyes )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thank you all {hug}

So sorry to hear about your girl Tammy {cry} {hug} (ps, I didn't get any messages from you xx)

I forgot to ask, which bedding is the least dusty that I could order to use in the coop? Newspapers just awful for cleaning out each morning, so soggy and absolutely stinks!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

So lovely to see you back again {hug} and I'm happy you seem to be on the mend as well as the chickens.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

It was just a hello message and to say hope you and your girls were on the mend {hug}
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Glad you are back Lisa. Your chicks are just so beautiful! xx
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thank you all {hug} {hug} {hug}
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

Good to hear you and chooks are all in a better place {hug} and love their first day out pics.
We use the aubiose inside their coop and soft woodchip in their run :-D (I couldn't cope with newspaper for long either !!!)
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

So glad things have turned a corner for the better Lisa )t' Gorgeous chicks, hope they bring you endless pleasure {hug}
LYN
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

)t' Glad you are back

Jackie xx
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

DELIGHTED to see you back too

Those chicks are fantastic - so funny looking - all gawky and too big for their feathers looking iykwim - I love them at that age - they could be hawks or chickens >dum< what breed are they Lisa?
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thanks all :-D

Last time I looked up auboise it was very expensive including delivery, is there a cheaper option? Will look around again incase anywhere local has started selling it :)

Pepi, the chicks are salmon faverolles :) I will have to get a picture of their feathery five-toed feet, they're so funny looking!
I realised the other day Milly my goldtop has five toes just like the chicks too, to silkies usually have 5 toes?
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Post by Wellington Boot »

So lovely to have you back with us Lisa!

I think you're doing the right thing, It's what I'd do in your situation too. Your chicks are gorgeous, I've just put my older chicks outside too, I would have done it sooner, but the weather has been so dismal, I thought I'd better keep them in a bit longer!

I use a fine wood chip (it's like matchsticks, if you can picture that) which is less dusty than normal saw dust/wood shavings, but can be splintery.

Nx
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]