Free ranging, how safe?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Lizzywhit
Lively Laner

Free ranging, how safe?

Post by Lizzywhit »

Me again, apols for asking so many questions but you're all so helpful. I have a small coop and 6ft x 3 ft enclosed run on paving slabs and 4 ex bats. I have a medium sized garden with a 6 foot non fox proof fence. I don't know how closely I have to watch the hens when they're loose in the garden - can I sit out of sight in the lounge with the tv on? Can I go and mow the front lawn? Or do I have to actually be with them? I don't feel they have much of a life shut in the run all day - or do they? What about in winter when it's not really appropriate to sit in the garden?

silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: Free ranging, how safe?

Post by silverback »

Hi Lizzy,
The choice is yours!, however, a determined hen could probably get over a 6ft fence, especially if there are objects against the fence, like water butts, garden furniture or the like!. You can never predict what will happen, its a question of weighing up the odds, do you have foxes local to you, or is your garden surrounded by other gardens?..
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Lizzywhit
Lively Laner

Post by Lizzywhit »

I'm surrounded by one other garden, a rough track and a proper road. We're semi rural I guess, farm fields 2 mins walk each direction. I do see foxes in the fields when dog walking. Part of me wants to say just let them have lots of freedom and if a fox gets them, give some more ex bats a retirement. But I've got quite fond of them.
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Hi, as previously said the decision is yours.
I personally leave my hens to free range all day, even when we are not at home. I am very aware that it leaves them at risk from foxes and indeed other predators, but I wanted my hens to have freedom and I love to see them going about their business in the garden. Lots of hen keepers have suffered fox attacks and so have very different views. I just don't want to keep them "cooped up"
[center][/center]Davina
Lizzywhit
Lively Laner

Post by Lizzywhit »

Do you think they're happy in the run all day? I wouldn't keep a dog or horse locked up like that an they're the only other animals I'm used to...
Lizzywhit
Lively Laner

Post by Lizzywhit »

Davina - how long have you done this successfully? Are you rural or suburbs? Your hens must be so happy.
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

I have had my hens coming up 3 years. Last year we did make a run for them as they were digging up all of my vegetables, but I hate to see them in there, so this year the veg patches are sectioned off and the hens free range.
The reason I got hens was to have them wandering around the garden being hens.
I live on the outskirts of town, my house did back onto fields but a school has now been built.
Forum members will give you differing opinions based on bad experiences, but as previously said the decision is yours.
[center][/center]Davina
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

I only ever let my chickens free range whilst I'm in the garden with them but like others have said it's up to you.

I haven't had a bad experience but feel that it is my responsibility to keep the hens as safe as possible as I would with all my other animals.
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

:oops: sorry don't think I've said hello yet so )wav(
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
Lizzywhit
Lively Laner

Post by Lizzywhit »

Tammy - do they get out every day? What about in vile winter weather? What's your run like?
Lizzywhit
Lively Laner

Post by Lizzywhit »

Ps hello!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Your run sounds very small to me - I wouldn't be happy with four chickens in there. At our last house, the chickens free-ranged for most of the day - generally they were out unless we were away overnight, or were going to be out all day. Most of the time, there's someone in the house, so we just left them to enjoy the garden.
They quickly trashed the lawn, and much of the rest of the garden }hairout{ We moved a few months ago, and acquired a dog, and I'm being a little more cautious while I get the measure of the new house/garden - they usually get some free ranging time in the early evening, but for the rest of the time they're in their run, and they're fine, even if they do all come rushing to the gate every time I walk past, just to make me feel guilty!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

No they don't go out everyday. If I'm in the garden getting washing in or pegging it out or pottering around the garden then I will let them out even if it's only for 10 mins each time.

I currently have 2 chickens in a 12' x 6' covered run but in a few weeks it's going to change. Once my chicks are in the garden and they are all mixing they will have 2 x 12' x 6' covered runs joined together with a 6'x3 uncovered area. When it's really wet I sometimes go and sit in their run whilst they run around the garden {rofwl}
Tammy xxx

tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

Sorry I didn't read your post properly first time, I have to agree with LBF your run is on the small side for 4 chickens, idea amount of outside space would be at least 10 square feet per hen.
Tammy xxx

Lizzywhit
Lively Laner

Post by Lizzywhit »

It is small, esp with water, food and grit containers in it! I think maybe I'm leaning towards letting them have the garden when I'm in the house, which is most of every day, and shutting them in the small run when I'm out or it's pouring and hope for the best. I keep telling myself that whatever happens to them, it's better than the pie they were destined for. I've also just seen a mouse finishing off their spilt crumb even though I've taken up the feeder!