Poo/Litter

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Mulluc37
Lively Laner

Re: Poo/Litter

Post by Mulluc37 »

Thanks Guys, for all of your tips & comments, most helpful. I guess its that finding out what works for " you" theory, as I am a newbie I am sure I will catch on.. Absolutely loving the chickens & ducks , just want them to be happy. :-D :-D

Thanks again )t'
sharon. 1 very understanding OH, 5 kids, 1 English Bullmastiff, 1 Dogue de Bordeaux, 1 inherited Staffie Cross, 2 cats ,9 chickens, 1 cockerel 2 indian runner ducks, 3 Aylesbury Ducks and numerous fish.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I use a pair of old gardening gloves for poo picking inside the coop, and I have a long grabby thing (for litter picking type thing) that I bought from a £ shop, that does the trick perfectly for picking up off the lawn/garden and the run.

On the floor of the coop, I have cardboard then a plastic beach mat type thing, with a layer of straw on top. It's easy to clean off and keeps the girls warm in winter, and they love rooting round in the straw.

Karen
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

We just shove on a pair of latex gloves for poop picking duties )t'

I have also found that wood shaving clump together more when wet/covered in poo - since switching to a chipped wood bedding such as easibed or auboise, we have much less wastage when poop picking and it also seems to be more absorbent so lasts longer too :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

Aubiose or similar in the coop, sharp sand in the run, just use a cat litter scoop with the sand, barely any waste and they can dust bath where they like )t'
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Mulluc37 wrote: Does any one out there put any form of flooring on the floor of the chicken shed, mine is a walk in ( no removable floor) so was thinking about outting something over the floor which can be dragged out and hosed down, any ideas??

I've used a feed sack opened out. The paper kind (without bedding) can be scrapped until messy (it lasts quite a while if it's dry weather) then replaced. The plastic sort can be scraped or washed. Or a remnant of 'lino' would be good.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire