choosing names

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

choosing names

Post by bmpsands »

Ideas please - I want to call my two new girls after retired cricketers, bowlers for preference. They were going to be Tuffers and Corky but one of them is really awkward and a bit bolshie. I can't think of any fast bowlers who were like that off the field, although many of them were demons during the hours of play.

Anyone out there got a suggestion for me? Closest I've come so far is Ishant.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: choosing names

Post by Benny&Co »

I'm not sure about cricketers names Bea, the only one I can think off the top of my head is Freddie Flintoff and I don't think he's bolshie?

:-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Freddie Trueman ?
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Hintza
Lively Laner

Post by Hintza »

How about Lillee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Lillee

Lillee was known for his fiery temperament, 'never-say-die' attitude and popularity with the fans.
3 Speckeldy, 2 Speckeldy boys, 2 Speckeldy Offspring girls, 6 White Stars, 1 Cream Legbar. 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans (The Delinquent:- BOY!!), 1 Barnevelder, 6 Hyline, 2 Minorca.
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

Not a cricketer as such, but a commentator, Dickie Bird )t'
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Hi bmp

If she is a bit bolshie then surely it has to be 'Aggers' from TMS

Not that he is bolshie, quite the opposite, but he's a retired bowler and the name sounds bolshie.

Cheers

Mike
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Not up on cricketers, but my next 3 will be Bosh, Pecks and Boots {rofwl}
Lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Correct me if I'm wrong, cricket fans, but didn't the great man once introduce the players on the pitch thusly.....(before collapsing in a fit of giggles)......

The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey.

I think they would be hilarious names {rofwl}
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Freeranger wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, cricket fans, but didn't the great man once introduce the players on the pitch thusly.....(before collapsing in a fit of giggles)......

The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey.

I think they would be hilarious names {rofwl}

Indeed yes, one of the famous funnies of commentary!
Life's too short to quarrel
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

There is also the famous Aggers moment, with Brian Johnston of sacred memory, Botham has failed to get his leg over.

I think Aggers is the winner. I was going for fiery fast bowlers, but after 4 days the "hen with no name" has calmed down a lot and is really calm and funny most of the time with occasional touches of vitriol. Aggers it is.

Thanks all.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

I am a very proud winner, bmp, and having been listening to him all day at the first of many victories over the Aussies in the coming months I shall expect a hazelnut and chocolate cake in the post.....

Our first hens all had names beginning with 'A' (don't ask me) (Bumble is a pseudonym to protect her identity; privacy laws and all that) and I am informed that the next 3 will begin with 'B'

I have just reserved 'Blowers' which will be a fabulous name for a big White Sussex

Chilly and windy in Hertfordshire tonight. Bumble a bit better again but 2 eggs from five - their worst ever performance. Don't mind though as they are cutting the grass as I look out of my window.

Cheers all

Mike
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Chookmike - Blowers is a great name for a Sussex. I won't be getting any more hens until a couple of my original old ladies go to their rest. Technically I have enough room but I like them to have loads of space.

I've had the radio on all day, or taken the sports radio out with me when dog walking. Nannes has a nice easy-listening voice.