Naming Chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Re: Naming Chickens

Post by Steve valentine »

Barry fessel Omar (deceased) and Wadj, after characters in the film 'four lions'

I've a female guinea pig named Elvis, Colin the canary and Walter the Senegal parrot. Names that just come into my head and stick. I'm chief pet namer in this house.

The bobbleheads (my new poland bantams) are called peanut (the lady we got one from had one same colour called peanut) maggie (colours of a magpie) and sheryl, as she's black, sheryl crow.

We've had a cat called twinkletoes as she wasn't light on her feet, spiro after spiro the dragon due to her grumpy look (shortened to spadge) snowy because she was all white and sigma, as she squealed all the way home sounding like a sigma car alarm, shortened to siggy, then to ziggy. Then there was baby as she was small and suckled on ziggy.
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

anne1234
Lively Laner

Post by anne1234 »

my hens are shirly dasie and egna and the wee silkies are violet and rosie shirly and violet were named buy there old onwers the others just names i liked )t'
ulrikeelmleigh
Lively Laner

Post by ulrikeelmleigh »

My kids have named our chickens so far. The first lot were Tikka, Athena, Stella and Penny, and earlier this year we got Hedwig, Danielle, Queenie and Poppy. Before we got our first lot of chickens we spent about 2 years wondering whether to go ahead or not, and during that period, every time we went for family walks, the kids would play the "when we get chickens, what shall we call them?" game. We went through all sorts (plenty of Indian cuisine, although in the end only Tikka remained - and a very fine big chicken she was!!), but somehow "Penny" or "Poppy" always seems to fit.
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

For my ex batts I tend to go for old ladies names so I currently have Elma, Annabelle, Nancy, Nora Batty and Jemima (my boyfriend brought her for me for my birthday and named her so not really an old ladies name). My pure breeds I have stuck to names from their country of origin so ive got Anya the Russian Orlaff, Fifi the French Flaverolles, Daisy and Lilly my english light Sussex pair and Little My the chinese silkie. The rest ive picked names that suit them or from tv programmes I watch at the time like Abby (black rock) and Catlin (brown leghorn) from NCIS tv programme.
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Just known as The Monochrome Set, they are black, white and grey and we thought that was what Adam and the Ants were called originally, but it was just a group Adam Ant was in when he was still Stuart Goddard :)

But the Ranger has a very small comb and is a bit of a ditz, so she is referred to as Viv, think The Young Ones.

We aren't very good at names. We still have a nameless rat, we have had her for a year and 'her' is as good as it gets!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Ruby, Beryl and Amber

Mine are named after stones, the precious gems* that they are +f+

* ''precious gem'' isn't what they get called when screeching!!!
junemackenzie
Lively Laner

Post by junemackenzie »

My four, who are all French, are called Guinivere (after the said Queen because she has a golden cloak over her body),she is the chief chick and nobody messes with her. The next is Hortense, her sidekick, she is less 'golden' but confident in her position. Then there is my beloved Florence, who is a different colour. She has beautiful grey feathers and is the same breed. She is bottom in the pecking order but there is no real bullying She leaves them to get on with it and runs into the kitchen to steal the cat food when they are after what I give them and follows me around like a puppy. Clever girl. Finally comes Bestsy, a friend named her and she is the naughtiest of the lot. Good luck with naming your girls xxxxxxxxxxxx\ {hug&kiss}
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

Ive got Henrietta, Bramble, Belle and Bourbon, Ivy and Holly, and May and June. Those gone before are Spice,Clara, Alice, Clarice, Biscuit and Cookie. Have you got names for yours yet? :-D
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I named mine to describe their looks. Pepper (as in pepper corns) Dotty and Poppy ( as in poppy seeds but who turned out to be a cockerel) are speckled. Bluebell lays blue eggs, Honey and Amber are golden and I lost Treacle who was dark brown.
Hintza
Lively Laner

Post by Hintza »

My children named one Pecky but didn't know which one so they all became Pecky:- Red, Blue, Green etc because of the colour of their rings.

Next came the White Stars so we had Olympic, Tropic etc (never called one Titanic)

The latest girls are 6 Hylines and are:-

Diana (Cooper)
Nancy (Cunard)
Tallulah (Bankhead)
Zelda (Fitzgerald)
Coco (Chanel)
Tamara (de Lempicka)

All famous flappers from the 20's all bar one were the women in this book:- Flappers: Women of a Dangerous Generation
3 Speckeldy, 2 Speckeldy boys, 2 Speckeldy Offspring girls, 6 White Stars, 1 Cream Legbar. 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans (The Delinquent:- BOY!!), 1 Barnevelder, 6 Hyline, 2 Minorca.
Mulluc37
Lively Laner

Post by Mulluc37 »

Hi All

Great replies , ok so now they all have names.

Chopsy ( Black rock - always chatting )

Pearl ( Light Sussex )

Coco - ( Coucou Maran)

Belle - ( Bluebelle)

Matilda ( Bluebelle)

Attilla ( Columbian blacktail, a bit of a bully )

The runner ducks are

Pancake & Hoi sin :-D :-D :-D

Thanks for replying to the post and sharing all your names with me, )t'
sharon. 1 very understanding OH, 5 kids, 1 English Bullmastiff, 1 Dogue de Bordeaux, 1 inherited Staffie Cross, 2 cats ,9 chickens, 1 cockerel 2 indian runner ducks, 3 Aylesbury Ducks and numerous fish.
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Love the names especially the ducks!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Great names. We got 4 new girls at the weekend and I'm now on a cricket theme. The previous two are Aggers and Tuffers (although both have Samaritan names as I take eggs to the Centre to raise money - they're Belinda (the name of our new director) and Henrietta (what our Director would call a hen if she had one).

Name for the 4 new ones aren't finally decided. One is very red for a Lohman so she's going to be Polly; one has a small comb and is more of a coffee shade so she's Budgie; the third kept getting thrown out of her original group but has been adopted by my old girls so she is Dolly-Vera. The fourth one is so beautiful, with gorgeous markings, that I still haven't found a name good enough. By and large, outstanding cricketers aren't as outstanding in the looks department. The few good looking ones that come to mind don't have very good names/nicknames that can be adapted for hens. Oh dear - perhaps I'll get some inspiration soon.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

David Gower was the pretty-boy of his generation wasn't he? Difficult to make a hen name from though. Shane Warne thinks he's pretty but you don't want anything from him in an Ashes summer....One week tomorrow bmp and we'll go into hiding with our digital radios until the Ashes are firmly back on our shelf (not that we let the Aussies have them even if they win {rofwl}

Not that they will....

Mike
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Gower's "bunbury" name was Goldenhair. That might work. I'm not aware of a Shane Warne nickname - but actually he and Brett Lee were mesmerizing to watch and that piccie of Freddie consoling Lee was my screensaver for weeks.

Moving out into the sticks means that I have zero channels on my digital radio. Fortunately, the long wave reception is good and ashes stuff is always on TMS. Other matches require me to either stay in the living room or stream the coverage on my laptop.

The hen with no name is, apart from being gorgeous, also turning into a bit of a head hen. She really is amazing and that's why I'm struggling to name her. I don't know why I bother. Now that I've got 5 Lohmans and 4 Warrens it's getting difficult to tell them apart. The two Light Sussex, being white, are the only ones I'm sure of as their tails are very different.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.