stopped laying...?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
b_cos_1_can

stopped laying...?

Post by b_cos_1_can »

hey, as most of you know ive got 2 ex batts! a feathery quiet hetti and a scraggy bossy winni.

well winni has stopped laying.
shes not ill or off colour, and shes eating and drinking for britian! shes still bossing hetti around and certainly trying with me but im holding my ground. so....i dont think there is anything wrong as such, just dont understand why one would stop laying!
there are no red mites either!

could it be because her new feathers are coming through and her body is using up all the energy and goodness for them??

what else could it be? what do you all think?

kat xx

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Most new hens lay for a while then have a break, sometimes 2 / 3 weeks.

I wouldn't say there's anything wrong. Just their way of things.

I had all 13 I had at the time go off lay for about 13 weeks! But I'm sure that won't be the case your two beuts.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bettysue
Lively Laner

Post by bettysue »

hi, one of mine stopped for three weeks one still hasnt laid any eggs. but sage just started again so i think she was just having a break. or it could be because i got two new hens and she thought she had better shape up or else!
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

lol
as i thought, nothing to worry about!
just gota see how it goes i guess, wont be having too many cakes this week i spose :( still it will be good for my diet!

kat x :wink:
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Ah, but you have those new ones coming soon !! )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

NO.............i must resist the almighty temptation and i must stay strong :shock:

ive been really really good so far and im not getting anymore till im a little more confident with them!

then ill have a gardenful! :razz:

its enough right now to have 1 child, 1 dog, 1 cat, 3 gin piggies, 2 chooks and a hamster. a couple more chooks later in the year or next summer maybe! :wink:

kat xx

note to richard:
*kat puts fingers in ears and shouts loudly at top of her voice*
LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA (breathe) LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA )chu:
wendy

Post by wendy »

Well....today I have had to BUY 6 six eggs !!! :(
I am having people round tomorrow for a BBQ etc and I had absolutely no eggs to put in some dishes.
How annoying when I have 4 gorgeous girls eating all and sundry.
I get about 3 eggs a week, when I am lucky enough to beat them to it. Still at least I know they are getting plenty of protein LOL
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
MotherHen
Learner Laner

Post by MotherHen »

Hello

I too am having problems with my girls. I haven't had any eggs for 3 weeks. Unfortunately one of my original girls died and she was replaced by Gaby (baby). The other 3 have not accepted and have spent the majority of the time since I got her either trying to kill her or being broody!! I don't want to go down the route of hatching eggs, life is too busy(full of boring things like work) and I am still a novice at all this. Has anyone got any advise for me on this one, will peace, harmony and eggs ever be restored to the coup?

Any ideas would be great

Look forward to hearing from you

Motherhen

(f+
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your new chook.... Has anyone got a foolproof method of adding new members to the flock? I'm getting realy worried about adding to the clan...
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

stopped laying...?

Post by AnnaB »

? Foolproof method of adding to flock.
I had my 5 new girls last Sat. The surviving girl who has been here for a year had to let them share the coop. She went to roost first and then I took her out and sprayed her with vinegar and water. I then sprayed all the others in turn (I really felt so cruel) popped them in the coop for the night and they were all fine next day. I kept the older girl apart from them for 3 days in the adjoining compartment in the run (I sprayed them for 3 nights) today I left them in the run together. Everyone has had a very busy day either the old one chasing or the new ones running BUT no-one is hurt. This has been my greatest fear.
I will see what tonight and tomorrow brings but I am sure I am on the right road.
I have always found egg laying to be spasmodic some times there are loads and other times I start to worry if I have not frozen any.
MotherHen
Learner Laner

Post by MotherHen »

Thanks for the tip, I will try it tomorrow night. Just perched all the girls and all is calm, until daylight!!! Everyday brings hope!!!

PS Is it equal parts vinegar to water?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Lovely photos Willow
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

stopped laying...?

Post by AnnaB »

Hi MotherHen
The coordinator said 50/50 but my OH wouldn't hear of it as although these girls are relatively well feathered he said 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water. I did this for 3 nights and nothing for the last 2 nights.
They are still getting their pecking order sorted and as you say every day brings a result. They have found they can run away from their only aggressor and as she has 5 to try and chase none of them are injured. They are all able to get to the food, greens and water and I have started to feed them differently. I used to have all the food in 1 or 2 bowls now I spread it around the run and they have to search for it (occupation is a fine thing)!
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I read that chickens recognised each other by sight.. spraying them with dilute vinegar suggests they recognise each other by smell or is there another reason? (mind you, if it works who cares?)
Thanks Mo.. I'll just keep adding to the photo album as they grow older.. I added some more this morning..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

:shock:

everybody raise there glasses and please celebrate the arrival of an egg! winnie has been harvesting this egg for around 10 days.....yippee, shes layin again!! PARTY!!