Visit From Foxy

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
julieann
Legendary Laner

Visit From Foxy

Post by julieann »

Mr fox tried to get into my chicken run last night yike* . He dug around the door but a paving stone stopped him getting in. He pulled the log roll away from the outside of the run at the back and dug all along and down one side, the skirt stopped him digging under and he gave up. I hope he stays away! My girls all seemed happy this morning, scratching around for breakfast and yet they must have heard him trying to get in. Hopefully he won't come back. I sprinkled human hair around the outside of the run a few days ago so obviously the theory that this puts foxes off is wrong!
Julie x

Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Re: Visit From Foxy

Post by Kuikentje »

Oh heck. What about sprinkling wee round it? Or what about zoo poo?
Life's too short to quarrel
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

How scary for you! Its very interesting to hear exactly how it tried to get in, its
so helpful to us all when we try & fortify our runs! This proves how vital the anti dig
part is, I shall check mine tomorrow & make sure its fastened down properly & there's
no gaps. I've often wondered about lion poop, can you actually buy it in dried form
or something?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

kitla wrote:How scary for you! Its very interesting to hear exactly how it tried to get in, its
so helpful to us all when we try & fortify our runs! This proves how vital the anti dig
part is, I shall check mine tomorrow & make sure its fastened down properly & there's
no gaps. I've often wondered about lion poop, can you actually buy it in dried form
or something?

Glad my post may help others....not sure if you can buy lion poop, maybe Kuikentje can answer that?

Kuikentje wrote:Oh heck. What about sprinkling wee round it? Or what about zoo poo?

I might ask my son to oblige when he comes around (with the pee). I have a male dog but maybe the fox knows he's only a 5lb yorkie {rofwl}
Julie x
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

julieann wrote:[
I might ask my son to oblige when he comes around (with the pee). I have a male dog but maybe the fox knows he's only a 5lb yorkie {rofwl}

get your dog to stand on a chair & pee high up on the fence, fox will think he's a huge dog then!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

When we had a fox attack it dug in under the back corner. yike*
Yes, male pee is good. The chaps in my house won't oblige but we have a large dog who,does.
And yes, it pays to bury your wire at an angle along the outside edge. Glad your girls are OK.
Someone said to me that old Tshirts soaked in used diesel oil,works too.
Lorna {hug}
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

kitla wrote:
julieann wrote:[

get your dog to stand on a chair & pee high up on the fence, fox will think he's a huge dog then!

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
Julie x