changes in colour.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Willow
Legendary Laner

changes in colour.

Post by Willow »

Just a quick reminder of a question that came up last week.... Has anyone else noticed their chickens faces (cheeks wattles, combs) and legs changing colour on a regular bacis? I thought they were supposed to go red and stay that way.. but mine change from red to black through orange and yellow at the drop of a hat although they are in the best of health.. (age 17 weeks...)

melons
Legendary Laner

flushed faces

Post by melons »

My girls do the same, they go very red sometimes, then go back to normal red, not sure what it means, but it does seem to happen to mine too.
Just thought I'd do a reply, so your not being ignored, even though it's not much help.
Cheers
mel x
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Mine are mostly red, but Jane (the grey hen) has a darker, greyish tinge to her face and parts of her comb, I'm not sure if it varies or if I notice it more sometimes.
Her legs are grey, most of the other are pinkish but one yellowish. I read that yellow legs mean they are not laying, but I sometimes get 6 eggs so thats not true.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Well I'm at a loss.. one of mine has pitch black legs face and comb today... One is bright red with yellow legs.. they're all eating the same so its not the food and they're all clucking and digging away so its not the 'mood' either.. )hlp>
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Are they laying yet?
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Hi Mo.. No they are only just coming up to 18 weeks old now, so no eggs just yet... do you recon its the chicken version of puberty problems?
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

changes in colour.

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Willow
If your girls are active then all is fine, its when they do not do what they normally do you have to worry. Make sure that their combs do not get sunburned, as long as their is somewhere for them to shade themselves they will be OK.
ps you could try and change their colour of lippy!
Anna
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Hi Anna.. Re 'sunburn' (humpf..) They have plenty of bushes and trees to shade them when they are 'out' and I've also covered an area of their run.. not that they've got a comb worth worrying about between them!! not that they''ve had much sun to worry about either mind...... as for the lippy - I've given up, I'd never match the shade - red just doesnt go with orange..sigh.... and as for the eye shadow......
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I am not going to chase around putting suncream on chickens combs! Bad enough the horses.. My daughter has two coloured horses with pale lips and she finds it impossible, they just wash it off (or tear off any veil she tries to give them)
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

changes in colour.

Post by AnnaB »

Willow - you haven't mentioned the blusher? This I fear is going to be a silly night - just posted back on your first item....
melons
Legendary Laner

sun tan cream

Post by melons »

ya know... I nearly went down the sun tan cream route with one of mine, she flushes red, I panic, has she burnt? then she's pale, panic over....it has nothing to do with eggs, weather, or anything, it changes within seconds, she's so bald bless her I think she is just flushing with temperature.
Tell me if I'm wrong, we seem to be working our way alphabetically through the ailment book of chicken facts :?
Cheers
mel x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Mel.. maybe it is just mood rather than anything else - I swear mine completely change colour while I'm watching them.....