Chicken Insurance

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Chicken Insurance

Post by lancashire lass »

It is my understanding that councils who run allotments are classed as landlords who are supposed to provide insurance (covers things like accidents/injuries/damage to property by poorly maintained facilities if they are provided) Thus, they usually draw up a tenants agreement whereby within the Allotment Act they determine what the tenant must and must not do while they rent that plot.

My site allows the keeping of chickens or rabbits for personal use but there is a restriction on numbers kept and the animals welfare are priority - failure to abide by the tenants agreement usually means the instant loss of plot. The agreement says that no cockerals are allowed as these are considered a noise nuisance to the residents living on the boundary of the site. One tenant tried to rear turkeys (presumably for meat) and he was told to clear off his plot and had no appeal even when he said he'd get rid of the turkeys so councils do have the power to do something without intimidating the whole site - if some people fail to provide secure runs for their chickens then they are the ones who should be asked to leave the site.

HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

This is what I think has happened on our site LL, three or four have flouted the law and unfortunatley its the rest of us who have abided by the rules etc have been tarred with the same brush.

I had a breif meeting with a council official yesterday and she informed me that its the RSPCA who are insisting on the insurance although she would not provide me a name ?.

I also asked her what insurance companies have insured the tennents on other sites so that we can use their services and complete our applications for permission, although she cant remember off the top of her head she has taken my E mail addy and is going to mail me the information, so hopefully it should be all resolved quite quickly.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hope you get it sorted, Bob.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Spreckly wrote:Hope you get it sorted, Bob.

Cheers Spreckly I,m sure it will, it just seems all a bit unneccesary thats all, now that the council are happy the cockerels have gone. BTW I,m still waiting for the E-mail from the council.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap