Ruby unwell?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Ruby unwell?

Post by Spreckly »

Ruby, our last girl hasn't laid for several weeks, and is still moulting like mad. She looks as if she has been in a fight. What concerns me more is her comb, which is getting paler, has a blue tinge at the top, and is no longer standing upright. In herself she seems OK, eating well, but I wonder if it is the moult which is causing the comb colour, and lack of eggs.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, we are looking after a neighbour's hens for a week, and his girls are out of lay as well, but not moulting.

We lost Lizzie just over a month ago, and decided not to get a companion for Rubes, but I just wonder if she is pining.

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Ruby unwell?

Post by albertajune »

None of my three girls are laying at the moment. Two just finishing a moult but Fifi my oldest girl is still losing feathers and her comb is a bit paler than norm. As she is still diving around and eating well and still being top girl, I'm not concerned that she is poorly as she is just the same in that way as usual.
I am no expert but I would think that your girl is just normal. Not sure about the floppy comb though. As I believe the moult does take something out of them, I've been upping their protein to help them.
I hope someone can put your mind at rest {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

she mght be a bit lonely spreckly but I had similar with my two big girls 2 weeks ago and I wormed them success upright combs within 2 days and looked much healthier I saw no evidence of worms un their poo either before or during worming but something must have been brewing I recko {hug} n I hope she perks up xxxx
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

My bantam leghorn normally has an enormous floppy bright red comb, but she had
a really big moult this month & while she turned into a scruffy pom-pom her comb
shrivelled up to a tiny pale thing, tinged with blue. She's now finally back to her
beautiful self & her comb is huge and red again and yesterday she laid her first egg
in a month! So I wouldn't worry too much about Ruby, she'd probably appreciate
extra mealworms while she's growing those feathers though.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I hope Ruby is soon back to her best Spreckly, shes could well still be missing Lizzie our girls have been down in the dumps when they have lost a sister {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Kitla - your description fits Ruby perfectly. I am more concerned about her comb than her moult, as the feathers are growing back.
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

My girl really appreciated a little cat food as well as mealworms

I hope ruby recovers soon and your mind is at rest :)
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

This afternoon I found Ruby crouching in the corner of the hut. She wouldn't come out when I called, but things look rather black. She always has mealworms in an afternoon, so I shall try and temp her with some.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw come on Ruby >fi< Does her chest sound okay? A tinged comb can be chest problems, I gave my girl tylan when she had a purple tinged comb.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Ruby unwell? The outcome

Post by Spreckly »

Ruby has flown off to the Rainbow Bridge. She had gone when we went to let her out this morning. She was the last of our girls.

Though not a total surprise, it was still a shock. We are glad that she has not suffered for long. We have buried her near Lizzie, under the apple trees.

How we will miss them all. I have still been calling out Lizzie Lou, and Ruby has always responded very quickly, in the hope of her afternoon mealworms and corn. We are so sad, two girls in two months.
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

So sorry {hug}

Fly high over rainbow bridge Ruby {hug&kiss}
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I am so sorry that you have lost Ruby. Sending you hugs.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Sorry to hear about Ruby. As you say, she didn't have a miserable, protracted end.

We lost two girls in a couple of months recently and it really is a blow. How can one have got so attached to a hen? You have to have known chickens to understand, I think.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

So sorry to hear you lost your last girl {cry}

Love and hugs to you {hug}
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

So sorry Spreckly {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell