Uh oh, fox came around

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Uh oh, fox came around

Post by Kaeta44 »

Please read through & see if you brilliant lot can come up with any ideas.

I thought our run was pretty well fox proof - until yesterday. Then we noticed a number of scratch marks on the side door of the coop, too high, big and deep to have been a cat. The coop and attached run stand inside another, bigger run.

Fortunately the coop is raised well off the ground and there's a cage-type run whose gate is closed every night. The fox has no chance of getting the side door open as even I have a struggle to lift the stiff bolt. What worried me was the nest box. It sticks out and has a removable floor. So today we nailed wood underneath so the fox can't get to the flock that way.

There's netting across the top of the big triangular run, fencing on 2 sides (one side has the fence standing on a concrete ledge. The third side is the garage wall.

We found a smallish gap in the netting where he may have got through. We've fixed that.

Have any of you got any ideas what else I can do to keep my little flock safe.

Many thanks.
Mucky Cluckers – Tales from the chicken run. "An hilarious read" "Cried with laughter" "A really good read, I couldn't put it down". Buy this paperback from www.muckycluckers.co.uk

I'm Trish Colton on FB DTL

perchy

Re: Uh oh, fox came around

Post by perchy »

There was quite a post about the nest boxes that had removable bottoms so to speak, so good job for nailing it down, have you tried tying up human hair around the run (from hairdressers in pop socks or the like) and getting a male to pee around the perimeter? I think as much weldmesh as you can fit anywhere, maybe a cage over the nest box area? They are beautiful but we do worry about them getting the girls )t'
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kaeta44 »

Thankyou Perchy. I'd forgotten about the male pee thing. I'll speak to No. 1 Son. And the hair thing sounds a good idea.
Mucky Cluckers – Tales from the chicken run. "An hilarious read" "Cried with laughter" "A really good read, I couldn't put it down". Buy this paperback from www.muckycluckers.co.uk

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Kaeta44 wrote:Thankyou Perchy. I'd forgotten about the male pee thing. I'll speak to No. 1 Son. And the hair thing sounds a good idea.

Will the neighbours wonder who the bald blokes peeing in your garden are? :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kaeta44 »

My neighbours stopped being surprised at what goes on at my place ages ago Dom!