Barnvelders and orpingtons..

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Barnvelders and orpingtons..

Post by Chicken drumstick »

How would the above fair with my 3 ex bats and 2 isa Warrens ?

Anyone keep these ?

The reason i am asking is i want to add one of each to my flock at some stage , i have read up in the introduction techniques / pecking order etc but have also read that the Orps and Barnvelders are a docile bird and might not fare well with ex bats ???

Willow
Legendary Laner

Re: Barnvelders and orpingtons..

Post by Willow »

To be honest every type of chicken can and will be terratorial - I've kept barnvelders and orpingtons. Both can be laid back but also fight their own corner when challenged.

Some birds are more dominant than others but personally I've never found that to be a breed trait. Rather individual characters..
I've had some very feisty ex batts and some who were the natural underdog (but fast)..

You'll have initial battles unless you're very very lucky, and would probably do well with the 'look but dont touch' method for a week or so (newbies and resident flock sepperate by mesh..)

P.s. both Orpingtons and barnvelders are fabulous breeds )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

I've a couple of Barnvelders in with assorted other breeds and 11 ex batts.

They're nice enough, very healthy, beautiful and okayish layers with no health issues I know of, but a tad boring compared to some rare breeds we've had. They certainly get on well with others and are big enough to stand up to an ISA having a go at them, so that is a plus for sure. However, I'd say try something a little more interesting if you have limited space (I'm lucky and have loads of room) as Barnies can soon become a bird who fades into the background through lack of character in my experience. If you speak to some breeders, they'll keep Barnvelders for a year or two, then try another breed as they too find them lacking charm. It's a shame, as they are nice - just not quite nice enough!

Orpingtons go broody, so we don't keep them as we don't breed and feel mean having them sit on nothing then get no 'prize'.
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I have two orpies in with a sussex and a hybrid and they all get on great )t'

I must be really lucky as my orps have never gone broody (I know I'm tempting fate by saying that sile} )

Wendy has a mix of orpies and ex-batts :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Thanks all for the replies )t'

Yes i am VERY ltd on space , the current covered run is 8.25 m2 , but getting extended to 12 m2 plus a FR part of the Garden for summer , the Hen house is over 6 x 4 feet so from what i have read 7-8 in there is no problem but i dont want to go over this amount as mine seem to like keeping themselves indoors for part of the day due to the weather / season i expect ?

I want to get the purchase of of the last 2-3 Hens right for some eggs , character and more importantly not a mass fall out .

I do realise everyone will have different experiences and i thank everyone for there posts i just want to get it right first time and me and the Ladies not have any regrets {hug}

The place i was looking at had 3 types of orps (colour variations ) plus the Barnies and i wanted to add all together as this is the best way .

I could just get 2 x orps in different colours maybe ?
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

I must admit i am more confused than ever after asking my friend google }hairout{

Do the orps become broody all the time ?

Just thinking i might just get the one now and 2 easier hybrids ?
manda

Post by manda »

Depends on the bird .....I have Orpy's that don't brood and I have Leghorns that aren't meant to be inclined and the first day of spring it's a case of let battle commence in stopping them from having babies!
I'm biased because love Orpy's ....well and Leghorns...Oh and Wyandottes.....and well chickens really {rofwl} {rofwl}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
wendy

Post by wendy »

I only have ever had the battered ones and Orpingtons.
I just love them both. The Orpingtons [I find] are very calm and gentle. Just the opposite of my busy, chatty battered ones.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Morning all

I,m leaning towards just 2 orps now i think 7 is enough for my space .

Then i am all complete and chicken bound ..lol..

Wendy , do you have no issues as such with the Ex bats (which i believe are all just isa warrens ) having a go at the orps ?
wendy

Post by wendy »

I never have had a problem with my chooks, but I do introduce slowly and monitor the initial meetings though.
Not all ex battery hens are Isa. I have had x Lohmanns. Couldn't guess what these little ones are. To be honest I think my Buff Orpington is head honcho and the Blue one ,down the rankings.
Generally I find they are dear little souls and after the 'sorting out' where each stand, they all live in harmony.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I didnt even know that orpingtons were a 'broody' bunch... mine certainly wasn't.. And the barnvelder I have now is full of cheek and character, and a beautiful bird too.

I have three variations of Maran , copper black, copper blue and splash, each one of them a totally different character.

I stand by my word that each chicken is individual. (Having said that both my Wyadottes are broody madams :? ).
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Thanks all

Will post some piccies when i get them i am going to go and take a look and either get 2 orps or an orp and a Barnvelder , thats the plan anyway i will see what catches my eye as i am prone to change my mind ..lol..
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Hopefully this weekend i will get them :-D
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

My top girl was a huge buff Orpy. She was gorgeous but quite the bully, certainly kept everyone in check! She went broody at the drop of a hat and the one time we put eggs under her, she broke them all...large and clumsy she was! However, she was an absolute star, hilarious to watch and the noisiest chook I have ever known - loved her to bits! RIP Bea (big, ginger & top dog of Prisoner Chook block H, hence the name!)
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

How noisy was she mate ?

To be honest i am getting cold feet about adding 2 more hens now the weekend is here .

I am in a but of a panick about bullying / mixing hybrids with pure breeds etc ..

I think i might hang fire until next spring , will see how i feel in the morning .