About to buy our first chickens!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
new_chicken_owner
Learner Laner

About to buy our first chickens!

Post by new_chicken_owner »

Hi,

We run a pet care company so have looked after many chickens over the years, but have never actually owned some ourselves!

Now we have moved into a property with enough space in the garden to have them, we are so excited! We found out that a customer of ours have 6 chickens for sale - we just need to set ourselves up first! We have found the house and run we want and know what feeder/water feeder we will get..and most of our customers have fed pellets with some corn in the afternoon so we will do the same.

So our questions:

1. Grit - how often and how much?
2. Cleaning - I am planning a weekly clean out with a monthly big clean (obviously getting rid of yucky bits as and when) What is the best stuff to use? There is so much conflicting advice online Im confused!
3. Is there any annual/montly worming or medication to give to chickens? Again its not overly clear online?

Mad Chick

Re: About to buy our first chickens!

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi and welcome )wav(

I remember getting our first chooks - I was like a kid on Christmas Eve :-D

1. Use mixed grit that contains both standard grit and oyster shell - the standard grit to help grind their food in their crops and the oyster shell to provide calcium for their egg shells. I scatter a handful around our run two or three times a week and add a little to their pellets also )t'

2. I just clean as and when it needs it - more often in the winter as they spend more time in the coop with the longer nights. I use Poultry Shield to clean our coop, I poo pick daily and give a total clean out every 2-3 weeks )t'

3. Worming - the best product to use is called flubenvet. It can be bought as a powder which is mixed into their pellets and fed every day for a week or you can buy premixed pellets by Marriages. Do this 2-3 times a year or more frequently if you see worms. There are also several herbal 'wormers' on the market such as Verm-X, these are OK but won't get rid of gapeworm or a heavy worm burden and are generally thought to be more of a preventative than a wormer )t'

Hope that helps and don't forget to post photo's when you get them :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Welcome to the lane. )wav( I agree with all that Lucy has said and must say that I learned all I need to know from on the forum. I think that keeping chickens is something that is learned about as you go on and trust me, someone always has the answer to a query.
Good luck in your new venture and be warned. It can become quite addictive.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Hello and welcome to the lane from me too, lots of good advice from Lucy )t' )t'

We do need )piicy( when the times right )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hello )wav(
Lucy has given good advice.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Welcome.

My thoughts would be that it is great news that you are getting hens. It is very exciting. However, IMO getting the right ones is crucial. Whether you are getting exbats, hybrids or pure breed make an informed decision as each kind have pros and cons. Dont just get those six because you are excited and they are conveniently for sale as you may regret it depending on lots of factors including health. This is SO crucial.

Welcome again xx
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

Welcome. )wav(
I have a little pot that hangs on the fence for poultry grit. I was told they know when they need it, like thirst. They really don't take much so don't worry if it like they're not taking it.
Looking forward to pics.
Saz
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
scbk
Lively Laner

Post by scbk »

Everyone's got their own way of doing things, I have an old small steel trough mounted on the wall of the run, which I chuck a bit of mixed grit and baked crushed eggshells in, there's always something in there for them to have if they so wish.
I use a shovel and a bucket to clean the coop, you can also line the floor with a couple sheets of newspaper to help with cleaning out.

For water I use a 25l drum on it's side with the top cut off, the mass of water means it doesn't freeze easily (a stone trough would be even better though). For feeder look up "trigger happy chickens"
new_chicken_owner
Learner Laner

Thank you all for your replies, all makes so much more sense now. We have got our house and run ordered to arrive in a few days, food, bedding etc all bought and will be stored away safely ready for their arrival. Just need to choose who to buy from, Ive started another thread by accident but essentially I am just not sure! We visited a lady today, she had a good set up and all seemed healthy and happy. Except she mentioned having new ones available from next month which made me wonder if the ones that were there today were the 'leftovers' >dum<
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

welcome!

all great advice from DTL theyre a fabulous bunch!

when I first got my chooks i had everything set out how it was going to be ... to be honest i go with the chooks theyre all different and do nothing by the book :-D

I put grit not only scattered around here and there as they seem to like rooting around but i have a pot too by the back door where they wait for me

Good luck and cant wait to see your pics!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

new_chicken_owner wrote:We visited a lady today, she had a good set up and all seemed healthy and happy. Except she mentioned having new ones available from next month which made me wonder if the ones that were there today were the 'leftovers' >dum<

Even leftovers should still be fine - when I went to choose my chickens, I walked into a big shed and there were hundreds of chickens from which I had to choose just four. How do you choose??? The most obvious is that all the chickens were in good health, but what makes one a better hen than the other when they all look alike LOL
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi,

Questions answered, so...

Good luck!!

On the Grit front, I roast our Chicken Egg Shells, crush them up and give them to the Chickens.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
new_chicken_owner
Learner Laner

Thanks again..and im glad someone has said the obvious so I dont sound too heartless saying they all look the same!

Chicken house arrived and just needs to be assembled, food and bedding etc all bought so looks like we might just go for it next week!!!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

new_chicken_owner wrote:Thanks again..and im glad someone has said the obvious so I dont sound too heartless saying they all look the same!

Until you get to know them as individuals, then you start feeling sorry for the bottom hen and shoo-ing off the bully LOL
Isa
Lively Laner

Post by Isa »

Hi, some very good advice, I left a cup with grit for my ladies to help themselves, think next time I might mix in with food also, I used verm X, and flubevent, didnt know it was more of a preventative thou, so will use the flubevent more next time also, a good tip for winter, make a big pot of spagetti with cabbage and sweetcorn, no salt, when made up, add breadcrumbs, and freeze lots in containers, just keep leaving out what you need for them the night before in the fridge, feed just before it gets dark, they love it, helps them preserve heat during cold weather, good luck and have fun, miss my ladies very much, and be very careful of the horrid fox. x x x x x x )t' RIP Isa, Queenie, Cookie, BB X