squishy Undercarriages

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

squishy Undercarriages

Post by Freeranger »

Hi - I nursed a poorly chook recently, and laners asked me several diagnostic questions including whether she felt squishy underneath. She didn't but another girl is poorly and she does - in her tummy area between her legs. What does this mean, please? She's reasonably alert and is eating a little but breathing through an open beak. She's not sounding crackly as she breathes. Any thoughts, please?

chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Re: squishy Undercarriages

Post by chookmike »

Sorry freeranger - can't really help. Most of ours occasionally 'gape' or yawn, but it only lasts a few minutes and I don't know why - perhaps it helps empty the crop down the system or clears a slight obstruction in the throat? They eat such rubbish sometimes.

I am sure better advice will be along in a moment.

Mike
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Re: squishy Undercarriages

Post by sazchops »

Hi.
Has she laid recently? If not can you feel underneath and see if you can feel a hard bit that could be an egg. If so a nice warm relaxing bath should help, followed by a blow dry ( yes really ). Then if possible a night in a dark box in the house, some sugar water for energy.
If she's not laying, how's her poo? If she has a mucky vent, kind of yellowy poo stuck to her then she could have an egg brocken inside, that'll need a vet.
These are the only things I know about swollen chickens.
)t'
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury