Help: strange lumps

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Help: strange lumps

Post by chicks&cats »

Please help: I have found an egg shaped, cream mass in their nesting box. It is quite firm but when cut in half is cream all the way through, like solid skin mass?! Does anyone know what this is? Sorry for the bad description but quite difficult to describe, should have taken a picture :oops:

HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Re: Help: strange lumps

Post by HedgeHugger »

Sounds like something called a LASH.
We've never had one but have read about them before.
A google image search turns up these
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lash+ ... d=0CC0QsAQ
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

Thanks. I have now been able to search them and seen a variety of pics )loo(
Apparently my hen may stop laying soon? Good to know.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

It sounds like a lash to me . I have seen one and they can be all shapes and sizes . Usually I believe from older girls. It does not cause to many problems but is part of the chickens lining .. I'm sure some one will give more advice if you need it.

Jackie x
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

I am presuming it was laid by Marigold who has had to cope with an infection a couple of months ago, followed by a period of diarrhoea which she seems to recently be battling. She is only about 3 years old, but seems happy, potters in the garden and eats lots of mealworms etc at the end of the day :-D