Photos to put people off keeping chickens for life !!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Photos to put people off keeping chickens for life !!

Post by Richard »

If we don't laugh about winter and it's weather we'll cry.

I did think when I put my three away tonight, 'who would ever want to keep chickens' if they knew the slipping, sliding, cold, wet side of things.

Followed by the energy bill costs of having a shower after every time you've cleaned out the coop !!

Here's my piccy - let's have some more to really put people off :-D :-D :-D

[center]Image[/center]

All in jest of course !!!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Photos to put people off keeping chickens for life !!

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Richard , Your garden is good compared to mine . Inch slosh, bomb holes , scratch marks straw and manue spread from flower beds (ex ) puddles of water /mud .chickens going over the top at each over .raiding parties on each others coops ,egg pinching if op arises . cockerels seem to launch in the air and fly for yards . Would not swop them .
Some said a 1000 chickens need homes on face book today . not on it so cannot confirm though.
Bob
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Bob,

you'll have to post a picture tomorrow :-D

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

It's so soggy here I'll have to invest in a waterproof camera before I can take any pictures.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,Richard , Love to but not Tec savvy enough . Hoping to get help on it and post some up soon .Penelope my super star , Lilly and the new girls always putting on a show for anyone willing to watch . When I do get the hang of it you would get inundated with them . They are beautiful to see and many colours of brown -ginger to chocolate.
Bob
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Winter months are hard work for us chicken keepers. It's snowing here today, and have just let them out. Although the run is covered it still leaks in places, but they seem happy enough. As soon as the sun shines we all seem to forget the winter and just carry on till it's that time of year again )t'

Roll on spring )like(
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Our last girl died in November 2013, but dog walking isn't much fun currently. At 11pm one night this week, I stood in the back garden, umbrella in one hand, shovel in the other, on boggy grass, paving stones rather slippery at present. Angel loves poking around the flower beds, gravel area, and under the hedges. She loves being outside and I'm sure that she realises once she has "performed" that we will shortly be going in to the slightly warmer house! "This is the life" was the thought running through my mind.

It is rotten, though, isn't it, a boggy path to the hen run, despite a walkway of paving slabs, run partially covered with pavers, which are standing in a small lake, hens drinking out of muddy rainwater, etc. We did love having our girls, and do miss them, but perhaps not in the winter.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ah, life is good :-D :-D :-D
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Spreckly wrote: hens drinking out of muddy rainwater, etc.

It's not the rain in the puddles that's the problem though. It's what they have put there. yike*

They do seem to prefer it to the cleaner water in the drinkers.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

This has already been posted in my chicken keeping diary...

...We've moved the girls to higher ground but what an icky muddy mess! Just a tip to new chicken owners....never put your coop and run in the lowest part of the garden thinking it'll never flood.
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

Ok Richard, you asked for it.... )w(

More mud...even after we moved them to higher ground

New (temporary) location until we get the flooding issue sorted....

It's not just the weather and the mud but unruly chickens you have to deal with...it appears the girls had a hen's equivalent of a pillow fight

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

No photo, but plenty of mud here - frozen hard. The poo is frozen to the top of the house and the ground.

Hens are disgusted too - they say there's nothing to come out for. They were all inside the old arc, one sat in the doorway, one just outside the door. Not queueing to lay either, just can't see anything worth getting up for.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire