?Broody Hen?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ClareM
Lively Laner

?Broody Hen?

Post by ClareM »

Hi,
Any advice welcome please...!
I've only had 2 or 3 eggs a day from my 4 girls for a week or so & today one of the Wyandotte bantams has spent most of the day sitting in the nest box. I thought she laid first-thing but she has been back there most of the rest of the day. I've taken her off once & got very told off.....I'm wondering if she's gone broody & if so, what to do about it?!
She's about 1yr old & has seemed fit & well up until now.
Thanks!
Clare

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: ?Broody Hen?

Post by KarenE »

Could be going broody, especially if she gets stroppy when you take her off. Has she been pulling feathers from her breast as well?

I've never had a broody (touch wood) but advice on here is usually to turf off the nest and try and lock her out if you can, to break the broodiness. Obviously not ideal as the others will be wanting to lay. Alternatively, stick her on a cold bottle - something to bring her temperature down. I've also read advice about putting them in a dog cage raised, so the air can circulate underneath to again lower her temperature. If she insists on sitting then make sure she's got access to food and water, maybe even bring it into the coop if she's really stubborn.

Alternatively, you could get some fertile eggs and let her hatch them! If you want chicks and are prepared for some or all to be boys of course.

If she isn't broody, it could be that she's preparing to lay an egg and is just after a bit of peace and quiet away from the others. Occasionally they will sit on the nest and not lay. They are funny things!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes they are funny.
Last week one of mine was inside for hours and very cross when I wanted to collect the eggs from under her. I left the side of the house down and went to get a 'shield' (bit of wood) so that I could avoid being pecked. She stood up, went out in disgust and gave up the broody idea, didn't lay that day or the next.
It is recommended that you don't leave eggs in the nest as that will encourage them to sit, if they are thinking about it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
ClareM
Lively Laner

Post by ClareM »

Thanks both, I think she is broody, she's constantly back in the nest box, even all last night despite removing all the bedding & one of the planks...! She'll eat briefly when I turf her off but then goes back, but at least she's eating & pooing the most enormous poos!. I had to leave the eggs last weekend as I was away, maybe that triggered it?
I was thinking of having chicks in the future, but hadn't planned on it just yet as don't have the experience.
How long will it last? I'm away mid-April & don't want my chicken-sitter having to worry!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

It's the temper that seems to give it away. My two posh girls both go broody but none of the ex-batts ever has. So far.

By turfing my broody ladies off 4 or 5 times per day, when they seem willing to eat and drink etc, I've usually found it's a 3 week process.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have one girl who has had regular broody periods since having her 4yrs ago.
I used to lift her off only for her to go back in. Once I had removed her eggs she would sit on any others that were laid, so these were removed from underneath her. Now I leave her until I am sure that all eggs have been laid for the day, I then stand a bit of mesh in front of the nest box to prevent her going in. Usually after about a week she gives up and trots about with the others again.
I do only have 3 chooks now, so knowing when the egg laying is finished is fairly easy and it does work for me.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
ClareM
Lively Laner

Post by ClareM »

Kicking her off does seem to be working - I shut the house after the other 3 had laid today & she's been ok for the last couple of hours at least. Lots of dustbaths (she is the most prolific bather of the group anyway but she's having a lot today even by her standards) but maybe the cold wet soil will cool her down sufficiently...! Unfortunately though as I work full-time if she is still determined to sit she'll have all day during the week since I won't be able to shut them all out the house when I go to work as the others will want to lay....
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Hi ClareM, I had my first experience of a broody hen this year "Barbara" she was quite grumpy! I also work full time, and just made sure that I moved her when I could, but like you couldn't block the house, without upsetting the other six! I just made sure I spent a bit more time at the beginning and end of the day, and tempted her with treats to keep her out for a bit. I found it incredibly worrying, but actually, whilst it took a few weeks, I think about five in the end to get back to normal, and she looked a little thinner, she settled without too much hassle. There are lots of previous threads on this which I read through which did help.
Hoping your chook recovers too ...
BW Clucky xxx
ClareM
Lively Laner

Post by ClareM »

Thanks Clucky, here's hoping! She seemed ok about being shut out yesterday afternoon & got up ok this morning (she's always last out anyway) so I thought I'd been worrying over nothing, but I've just got home & had to take her off the nest where she was somewhat reluctant to relinquish her 3 eggs...! Probably a good job I don't speak Chicken....!
Clare
scbk
Lively Laner

Post by scbk »

I just leave them to it, it's no big deal.
When I come home and let the hens out if theres a broody one she will get kicked out too as otherwise she wouldn't get the chance to eat grass. Also ideal time to collect the eggs!
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Hi Clare,
Glad she managed yesterday, hope the rest of the week is ok.
Clucky x