Dust bath

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
TomandJack
Learner Laner

Dust bath

Post by TomandJack »

Thinking of making a dust bath for our two hens, what should I put in it? I have bought some De and some play sand but would like to bulk it out a bit. Our run is very small so what have others used as dust baths in tight spaces? any suggestions appreciated :-D

jackian
Legendary Laner

Re: Dust bath

Post by jackian »

Hello there . Mine have an unused plastic box but some use a true.
I don't use play sand but I know others do . I use old garden compost and the dusting powder is a great idea.
It takes a few days for them to get used to it but they do in the end. Mine also use any space on the floor as it is dirt based.

Jackie x
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
TomandJack
Learner Laner

Post by TomandJack »

{hug} Thanks for that, I will mix a little compost to the mix. Anyone else used odd things for a bath? I have acquired an old tyre but it would take up so much room I would feel guilty. I am looking into free standing mesh to make a small space in front of the run to give more room, we are on paving and me and my little boys [Tom and Jack] are on a yellow card with the chooks, my wife's flowers are to be top priority {warn} so we have to be careful. If I had known it would have caused so much fuss I wouldn't have done this, but wow would we have missed out.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Ours just use an area of the run and make their own in the flower beds - but that's
definitely a no-no with yours! I've used a plastic veg growing bag in a tiny run,
I've seen those round bendy bucket things used by others - they come in different
sizes too, baby sand pit or paddling pool would work, even a plastic storage box so
long as the compost etc weights it down enough. I also have put compost in with playsand & DE, it soon dries out & goes dusty.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
TomandJack
Learner Laner

Post by TomandJack »

Dry out? {rofwl} This is the causeway coast of Ireland, it hasn't stopped raining since 1066. )j;
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh dear! I hope you have a roof over the dust bath area then, I don't think they
like mud baths!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Hi all, does anyone else use the ash from the log burner.? I fill up their holes that they dig around the garden and they love it .... When it's cold of course rather than hot embers! {rofwl} they would have a thing or two to tell me if I got that wrong I am sure {warn}
Clucky x
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I put the woodash round the old apple tree as I heard it was good practice. The hens find it and make a dust bath there from choice. Mad birds.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.