introducing a pair and a pair

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
juilly
Lively Laner

introducing a pair and a pair

Post by juilly »

hiya

quick question please. We picked up a pair of girls yesterday who have been together since they were chicks and tomorrow are getting two more from a different breeder who will have come from a flock of hundreds. As both pairs are will both be living in a strange new house can i put them straight in with each other and keep a close eye on them or do i need to do a proper pre-intro meeting and keep them separated for ages?

Advice happily taken

:-D
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: introducing a pair and a pair

Post by Spreckly »

We separated our run off, putting the newbies at one end, and the senior girls at the other. The seniors were real thugs, and worried the newbies. The two lots could see each other through the wire. After around seven weeks, we put them together, just before bedtime, and had no trouble. These four were hybrids.
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

Seven weeks???? Oh my goodness :? I was silly enough to think that as they were all new at the same time they could just muddle along together. Oh no, I'm not sure what to do now >coc<
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)
manda

Post by manda »

As they'll be all new together ...yes put them in together.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

I have always put new girls straight in with existing birds. The pecking order needs sorting eventually so in my view it's better to just get it done. Not many agree with this it seems but there is no right or wrong - just personal preference. Good luck with whatever you decide! Hope to see some pics soon )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I would also guess that as they are new together and no-one is defending an established territory they'll be fine.
In fact I've bought varied hens from the same breeder - so from different flocks. Even if you buy hens that have been in the same flock the dynamics of being in a bog flock is different from a small flock in a new place.
Spreckly, did you mean 7 weeks or 7 days/1 week. That would be more the way I do it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Sandra M
Lively Laner

Post by Sandra M »

I always put new chickens straight in with my flock they have to sort it out so I just let them get on with it. I have never had a problem.
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

Well I think it's going ok.

We collected three new girls today, we let the two that we got yesterday free range around the garden and put the new ones in the run. They all chilled out (the new ones looked perfified for ages) but when they'd been scratching around for about an hour we popped them all together. We put loads of treats in, extra water and extra feed pots so they weren't all fighting over the same stuff and left them to it.

I think it's not too bad but what do you guys think?

Miss Molly has got a lot more vocal today and I think is aiming for top hen status. She's been the first at all the treats and although she's let all the others get to the feed she's been a bit guarded about some of the treats. I was feeling really positive until I caught Molly jumping on Holly and pulling out some feathers. No blood and they don't seem too stressed so I figure it's just them establishing themselves? How long does it usually take for them to all calm down? It's only been a fews hours so I know they're going to take some time!

Thanks for all the support guys {hug}
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Juilly

Day 1 you usually get a lot of noise and racket and dazed chickens as they get used to their new surroundings
Day 2 even more noise and the jostling for position starts in earnest. Keep an eye out for any blood & ganging up (water pistol good for this)
Day 3 more of the same
Days 4 onward things start calming down a bit

That's assuming you don't have any right madams of course

Usually the top hen is settled on days 1-2, 2nd in command around the same time and the rest is spent making sure the bottom hen accepts her place.

I've found by about day 5 they're pretty much settled. I tend to keep them separate for 3-4 days except at night, with my oldies free ranging in the garden while the newbies get their bearings and confidence. Night time and mornings is usually fun! With yours all being new together you'll probably find they settle in quite quickly.

The leghorns look gorgeous girls!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

thanks Karen, I hope they settle down quickly, I'm brushing the dust off the water pistol for tomorrow if things get nasty!! :)

They all went to bed quite happily tonight and when we locked up they were all snuggled up. To be honest I don't think they really get the concept of perching. They are all just sitting on the floor in a big feathery bundle! Silly chickens! :) x