Tree Stump in run ?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
techiebabe
Learner Laner

Tree Stump in run ?

Post by techiebabe »

Hi, I'm planning to adopt some ex-batts, have done my research, have been assured I have enough space, etc.

However it occurred to me that next to where the coop and run will go is some dead space in my garden which I could maybe incorporate into a longer run. It includes a tree stump of a sycamore tree. The stump itself is soft and attracts bugs like woodlice. It also keeps trying to send up shoots which attract aphids to the leaves (usually I cut these back every year when they appear).

I know sycamore is non toxic and maybe the shoots would be fun to peck at?

Also I thought as bugs love to live in the stump this could be fun for the hens to peck at?

But, might it encourage problems (eg could the stump attract red mite?) It is about 5 metres from where the coop would be.

Any advice welcome. If the stump is ok then I can make a bigger run to include it; if not I'll avoid it, of course, but then we are down to 4 square metre per hen in the run (though I'll let them out too of course).

Thanks!

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Tree Stump in run ?

Post by Mo »

Welcome to the Lane. You'll have fun with your hens.
My first thought was that they'd enjoy the stump, to hop on and off of etc.
And the bigger the run the better. You see them busy pottering around, and when it's time to bring in new layers there is less bullying. We usually say at least 1 sq metre (10 sq ft) / hen so you have a big run.
Not thought about red mite, but a lot of us put logs etc in the run for extra interest, so I suppose it's OK.

Hens do like to scratch - you may find that you don't want to let them out very often when you see what they do to lawns and plants. Anyway, don't let them out till you are sure they have settled and know where 'home' is. And don't be surprised if they don't venture far from the coop at first.

Enjoy them
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi from me !

I agree with Mo.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the tree stump, many Chickens are allowed freedom of gardens and they've always, to me, seemed to have known what's good for them and what's not.
Be a nice perch for them as well, the more they have to do and walk round, the happier and less bored they would be.

Good luck - they're wonderful creatures to have around.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hiya )wav( and welcome

I am sure your hens will be delighted to have a tree stump in the run. I had a number of large logs for my girls. Can't say I ever found red mite in them.
So I wouldn't worry too much. You could always drench in DE every now and then
Enjoy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
perchy

Post by perchy »

Hello and welcome to the lane and I agree your hens will have fun with you and the stump should be no problem )t'
techiebabe
Learner Laner

Post by techiebabe »

Great! Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to reply (and to welcome me!) - hugely appreciated.

I'm reassured now - I'll plan to give my girls the biggest run I can and won't worry about including the stump. To be honest it is dead space in the garden anyway; I just stuck a planter on the top! May as well use it.

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back, at the least I'll be around in a few months when I get everything set up and collect my girls!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi, Leave a pot on the stump ,the girls will empty it for you. Fill with seeds and mud /saw dust and they will have great fun with it.
Best wishes .Dont be surprised if you expand flock and looose days watching them.
Bob
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

It sounds like an ideal place for your hens - I'm sure they will be very happy with a run like that.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hmmmm - when tempted to expand the flock leave a bit of space for later. It is a mistake to fill the run with same age hens who will all slow down egg production at the same time. Commercial keepers have young hens who turn expensive feed into eggs efficiently. Then cull, clean and restock. You may not see it that way so you need room to divide the run while new hens and old get used to seeing each other, and plenty of space while introducing.
Long way in the future for you I know, but it's a bit of a hobby horse for me since
a) we see people giving themselves unnecessary problems
b) been caught myself - the main run was fine but the secure bit I shut them into if I was going out in summer and wouldn't be home by pop-hole time. Hens can be nasty to newcomers and draw blood.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Just a thought about the height of your stump - if it's low then good, if it's a bit on the high side then maybe have something next to it that they can use to stagger getting on and of. Jumping from height could cause injury to their feet, particularly bumblefoot which is a pain and a nasty infection if they get it. And you'll see that they aren't the most elegant of creatures and tend to land like sacks of spuds, so having a staging post they can use will be handy. Even an upturned plant pot would do.

Welcome and enjoy your chickens!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi, I have a log 1 foot wide 2 foot long ,branch section ,on its side against wood support , The girls use it to perch on and get up two the half way levels and general use it for amusement . Pallet on its side they climp up and a pallet level for more space and escape route from bullies etc. Yes as Ex bats their legs are not strong due to the conditions , feed and movement like physio well soon get them champions . It is funny watching the girls up top looking down flap their wings think again and wander to a more easier drop point . Normally over another girl in the way .they have a natural instinct to be up high as safety in jungle (jungle fowl ) It is the breeding that makes them struggle with their weight . Some just go for it and land pretty good . Be surprised what the girls can do for a bug/treat etc. Like most things suck it and see. the girls will soon tell you what they want . Maybe a branch to walk up for balance ,pots as said with dirt in will always give them something to do as they look at the bottom of it for bugs . Soon learn if you lift something up to be their, fork is always a good way to get them in the run .
bob
techiebabe
Learner Laner

Post by techiebabe »

KarenE wrote:Just a thought about the height of your stump - if it's low then good, if it's a bit on the high side then maybe have something next to it...

Hello! Good point, thank you. It is quite low, less than a foot for sure - and because the tree was rotten when it was taken down, the stump is more of a C shape, you could stand on most of it or stay on the ground and peck at insects in the open bit. The wood there is soft and home to many bugs. I think it should be fine but I'll make sure to consider the height in my plans in case it seems higher when I clear around it for the run (at the mo it is surrounded by bark chips but I've read this is not good for hens, so I'll clear that).

Also thanks for the comments about expanding! But I doubt I'll do that. I've done it with fish and seen exactly how the maintenance schedule increases as a result, and how the fish preferred more space even though it was technically ok. My garden doesn't allow for any more hen space (it's a small London garden and I've got to leave some room for the dog!) so hopefully I will be able to resist!

Right, off to ponder the next bit in my plans... ;)

Edit: Oh, quick edit to add... The tree was taken down a decade ago but it refuses to die, it puts out suckers (ie new shoots from the base of the plant) every spring and summer. Usually I've been cutting them off with secuteurs as they appear, since they grow fast and the leaves are big, but I'm assuming the hens would like that, I hope I'm right? If not, it's no bother for me to keep pruning the suckers but if the hens would like to do it for me I'll be quite happy!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

techiebabe wrote: (at the mo it is surrounded by bark chips but I've read this is not good for hens, so I'll clear that).

Bark alone because there are spores is not good wood chip is OK even if there is some bark on it

techiebabe wrote:Also thanks for the comments about expanding! But I doubt I'll do that. I've done it with fish and seen exactly how the maintenance schedule increases as a result, and how the fish preferred more space even though it was technically ok. My garden doesn't allow for any more hen space (it's a small London garden and I've got to leave some room for the dog!) so hopefully I will be able to resist!

We all make the mistake once, but no point repeating it.

techiebabe wrote:Edit: Oh, quick edit to add... The tree was taken down a decade ago but it refuses to die, it puts out suckers (ie new shoots from the base of the plant) every spring and summer. Usually I've been cutting them off with secuteurs as they appear, since they grow fast and the leaves are big, but I'm assuming the hens would like that, I hope I'm right? If not, it's no bother for me to keep pruning the suckers but if the hens would like to do it for me I'll be quite happy!

They like a bit of shrub cover for shelter, or they may remove the leaves and kill it for. you. My googling doesn't say that it is toxic to hens (and we think hens avoid things that are)
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Just to say I have lots of tree stumps in my run, been there for 7 years with no problems
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/