Meet my girls!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
p.penn

Meet my girls!

Post by p.penn »

May I introduce you to Flopsy and Mopsy who came to live with me yesterday. Flopsy is a Leghorn and is supposed to be white (!) and Mopsy is a Maran :-D

I wonder how I can tell that Flopsy laid an egg today?

They have settled in remarkably well, and I was dreading seeing where they had put themselves to bed last night, as it was so muddy and I didn't fancy being in the dark, on my hands and knees in the wet soggy mud, trying to retrieve them to pop in the coop {rofwl} Amazingly (and rarely!) they had put themselves to bed on the floor of the coop, and the other three had crammed themselves into one of the nest boxes! The last one in had her feet and bum spilling out and it was hilarious, especially as there was another, totally empty nestbox for them to use {rofwl}

The only thing is, there was a little blood in one of their poos last night yike* I am hoping this will be nothing, and am not panicking yet. I guess time will tell.

Anyway, welcome to your new home ladies. I hope you will be very happy! :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com

perchy

Re: Meet my girls!

Post by perchy »

Hello ladies {hug}
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

)like( Such lovely new ladies. It's great that they settled in with no problems and they now only have to look forward to sunshine.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Lovely new ladies and I echo that it is great that have settled in already and even laid an egg. I look forward to hearing more about them.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Gorgeous! )like(
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Mopsy has laid her first teeny egg this morning, and another from Flopsy, so we are definitely in business! )c(

They are not very friendly yet, but I often find that 'type' chooks are much less friendly than the ordinary brown hens. Flopsy is actually really small, and I was wondering if she was a banty,(can you get a banty leghorn?) but her eggs seem normalish size.

Anyway, all quiet (mostly!) on the western front! :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I have bantam brown leghorns and I know of people with bantam white leghorns so it is possible she could be a bantam. My girls eggs are smaller than big girls eggs though. If she is a bantam she would be noticeably smaller than the big girls. The leghorns are very speedy and good egg layers. Mine are very squeaky of voice too.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

They look lovely, Flopsy has lovely floppy headgear!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes, I thought that at the time! Actually, the reason they are Flopsy and Mopsy is that my grandchildren brought them round as a surprise for me. They were in a cat box and Milli said she had brought her bunny to show me....hence the names!

Hmmm, Flopsy does look very small. She may grow still though I guess. :? I am assuming they are hybrids too, not pure breeds. I had two White Rangers long time ago and they were great layers, although I never really became friends with them as they were so skittish.
Helen xx

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Flopsy looks rather like a bantam leghorn to me.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

}hairout{ }hairout{ }hairout{ }hairout{
Helen xx

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

)t' lovely girls

Maybe the Maran is a big bird and Flopsy still has some growing up to do or is naturally smaller and more athletic without being a bantam? My White Stars look smaller than the other hybrids (Gold Star, Amber Star and Bluebelle which is the biggest) The Black Star was also smaller than the others
ChookDee
Learner Laner

Post by ChookDee »

Your new girls look lovely :-D

I have a white Leghorn and she is a lot more slender than my other girls. She is very skittish and chats a lot but she lays lovely big white eggs and does let me pick her up for cuddles!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes, I was trying to remember my last ones - I think they were a bit smaller, but do look more so because of their leggy design! The do look very like velociraptors, rather than cuddly feather dusters, don't they? {rofwl}

I do remember the huge white eggs - they were often double yolkers. I really felt for the poor things, laying them must have made their eyes water {rofwl}
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I think Flopsy's white egg was a little bigger today - next to Mopsy's dinky first effort! I rather like the deep brown, but assume it will lighten as the eggs get bigger :-D The large brown one is very big - from one of my older girls.

Helen xx