My new bluebells and rir

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Re: My new bluebells and rir

Post by Powyswales »

Mad Chick wrote:Yes, they felt well built and solid. It's the kind and if plastic that doesn't go brittle with age and won't shatter or crack.

I also liked it being off the ground but wish it was a little taller - the space underneath wasn't quite tall enough to be useful. It would have been great if there was enough height to put the chicken feeder, keeping it dry. We had a red roof on ours which did eventually fade a bit in the sun - our chooks would often sit on the roof so there were a few poo stains which didn't wash off. I'd probably go for one of the other roof colours if I were to buy another.

Was thinking the green probably looks best, Was looking at reviews and someone said rain could get in, did you have that problem? Also notice they say they are sent already assembled apart from nest boxes, i would have thought that would have cost them more to post and increased the risk of them arriving damaged? Also is it easy enough to open the roof to poo pick etc? Sorry for all the qestions but i just want to make sure i know what i am buying this time.

Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

We never noticed rain coming in (although we did put a clear plastic roof over the run not too long after we got it).

It came by courier on a wooden pallet and well wrapped in bubble wrap. The nestboxes were really easy to attach (less easy to unattach if you ever want to dismantle it but not impossible).

The roof and nest box lids were very easy to open - they have a little plastic spiral that just slides through a locking loop. They send a few spare spirals just in case you lose any. We only used 4 on the roof rather than the 6 you're supposed to use as it was secure enough with 4 and made it quicker to open and close.
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
ChookDee
Learner Laner

Post by ChookDee »

Hi,

We also have an Solway Eco loft and have had no problems, it is very sturdy and easy to clean. I have been keeping chickens for just over 4 years and had this from the start and it is still in fantastic condition, I have one with a green roof. I have had red mite twice but it is so easy to get rid of them, I give the coop a good blast with the pressure washer and smite liquid and it does the job.

Your girls look lovely by the way :-D
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Looks like the hen loft it may well be, good to know it is sent on a pallet and well wrapped, I notice if you go for the eco hen loft but then add 2 nest boxes the total comes to £223 were as the maxi comes with 2 nest boxes as standard and costs £240 so I think I will go for the later. good that the price includes delivery, when I was looking at the eglu cube at £555 with no run was shocked to see they wanted another £50 for delivery.

As you know I have 3 bluebells which to me look identical, my wife has named them as she can tell the difference somehow, I assume after they moult we may no longer know which one was which, is it worth giving them coloured leg rings or can they stress the chickens or cause problems if left on permanently?.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi It is not the escaping it is making sure they can get back to the coop .
Foxes are a natural part of the countryside and towns and must protect them .
Depend s on out look of keeping hens . Pets are treasured creatures that you smoother and love .
Farmers let their girls out in the yards all the time . Chickens will explore pretty long ways as my postman could tell you.
Also the neighbours are a point to watch as the girls do tend to pick the best plants and veg for a snack , not the best of getting to know your neighbours by.
Chicken wire for a boundry is ok I reacon ut the sleeping /run that is the inner sactum must be protected and double secured as the predators will get them if given a small chance .
Not ,any people think of air attacks . if hawks and other wild birds of that nature are around they need cover .
like most of the people it is getting a balance and your own sanity right.
Free range against locked up is a hard one to get right .
Best wishes .
Bob
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Hope I am not speaking to soon but all is going great, my 5 chickens have all been out free ranging for the last couple of days. They have no problem returning back to the coop and run for egg laying and to roost. They have so far shown no interest in going over the fence.

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Don't be sure that they won't try "the other side", the fencing doesn't look very high and it doesn't take much to frighten a chicken.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Is that a new run on the left of the picture....
The girls look really pretty.
Chickens are nosey .When somebody walks by they wikll investigate for sure.
It is a case of what you are comfortable with and the surrounding drivers etc.
Put a sign up beware of chickens ....
They must love the lawn.
Bob
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Hi, decided to go with the maxi hen loft which i ordered on wednesday, anyone know how long solway normaly take to deliver there coops?
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

My coop arrived on the monday, 3 working days from ordering, really happy with it and so seem the hens. I have also extended the run to 31ft long.

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi ,looks really good.Happy hens.
Bob