My oldest chook

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
p.penn

My oldest chook

Post by p.penn »

Elwood, my eldest chook, seems to be not quite herself. At 6.5 years old, it's been coming, but I do feel rather sad. She is still the first at the gate to say hello in the morning, but doesn't seem to have an appetite. He comb has flopped and her legs are a little wobbly. I did think about bringing her indoors, but she seems happy enough, so think she is better off in familiar surroundings with her friends.

I have never had a chook live so long, and she's been a feisty madam from time to time, so it is quite sad to see her in her dotage. {cry}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com

Willow
Legendary Laner

Re: My oldest chook

Post by Willow »

Awww.. That's a good age, I'd leave her where she's content and amongst her flock. No need to advise you at all is there Hun ? Just a big hug coming your way for you both {hug} {hug} {hug} x
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

It is sad when you can see that one of your girls are nearing their end. She has obviously had a lovely life and still enjoying it so I would do exactly as you are doing and let her enjoy the companions that she is happy with. {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ahhhh, she slipped away quietly in her sleep this afternoon, laying on the lawn in the shade, on a beautiful warm sunny day. {cry}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Aww Helen, Im sorry, bless her - you couldn't possibly have wished for anything better for the lady, still hurts though doesn't it ... sending you a huge hug {hug} {hug} {hug}
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

{cry} {cry} My lone surviving chicken is Bertha she is 6 and has recently comeback into lay. She is a posh bird, a crested Legbar and is as mad as a box of frogs. I have got a very long garden and if I can't see her, just call and this huge brown bundle comes hurtling up the garden. I never dreamt she would come back into lay or be happy on her own. She is as happy as a pig in ****.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Aww Helen {cry} but a beautiful spot to go, sending {hug}