New additions to the family

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Greenhorn
Lively Laner

New additions to the family

Post by Greenhorn »

We now have six new girls. How do I upload a picture? Cannot see a paperclip for inserting.

Many thanks.

wendy

Re: New additions to the family

Post by wendy »

Hiya.
I think Richard posted a small video
Look into Forum how to's
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi and welcome to your new aditions!

You can't post pictures directly to the forum - you have to upload them to an image hosting site like flickr, photobucket or the like (I think you can use facebook too but not sure on that) - I use imgbox which is free and pretty good. Once you've uploaded them to your hosting site, you click a link to share them - select the BBCode link, copy & paste it into your post on here and that should work
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Greenhorn
Lively Laner

Post by Greenhorn »

It worked. Thank you KarenE and Wendy. A bit laborious and I shall probably forget, but managed it this time. A paperclip is so much easier!

These are our new six:
Fifi the French Wheaten Maran
Treacle the Welsummer
Syrup the Gold laced Orpington
Marjorie the light Sussex
Tattoo the Buff Sussex
Sylvie the Barnevelder

They are all gorgeous but (I hate to say it) I already have my favourites!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Just seen this, they are lovely. How have they managed during this hot weather?
Greenhorn
Lively Laner

Post by Greenhorn »

They were fine during the heat. There is a lovely shady spot behind their house and they have had plenty of water. Our Barnevelder (Syrup, not Sylvie - she being the Silver Laced Orpington!) is so far the most friendly and will come up to me when I have corn. She lets me tickle the back of her head/neck. The others are still very skittish and run away from me, which is a shame, but I hope they will soon calm down and let me approach them. Any tips on how I can encourage this? I sit in the run with them when I can and just quietly hold out my hand, but (with the exception of Syrup) the others do not want to know. We have had Welsummers in the past and they have been very friendly, but we had them at Point-of-Lay, whereas these were Growers when purchased. Perhaps they are just still too young.
Greenhorn
Lively Laner

Post by Greenhorn »

The lovely six hens acquired last year have turned into five hens and a cockerel! This was originally a bit of a novelty for me and the neighbours have not complained, so it was not an issue. However, the five girls are now being pestered by the cockerel (orignally Marjorie, then Michael - so now Marjorichael) and have developed bare patches on their backs near their tails. I reserached this and found out it is probably because Marjorichael is paying them too much attention (if you know what I mean). I have noticed that he tries to juimp on them at every opportunity. My research stated that ideally there should be no fewer than seven hens to one cockerel, so with us being a ratio of five to one, unfortunately Marjorichael has to go. A great shame as he is beautiful and the neighbours actually love to hear him. I shall put a post on the other page, but in the meantime, if anyone would like to give him a good home please come and get him (Ashford, Kent).

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I also couldn't upload pictures but then found Imgur. Once you register and upload your photos find where it says share. Share to forums and then paste onto here. You will probably get instructions on Imgur. I googled how to do it . Good luck. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.