Bird Flu!!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Bird Flu!!

Post by KathJ »

Just seen online that there's been another outbreak of bird flu in Suffolk and 27,000 little girls have had to be culled {cry} I hope it's not going to spread again like it did a few years ago!!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Bird Flu!!

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not seen any info on this one, but I am highly suspicious about it not spreading when chickens are still running around in the open.
I know this may seem very harsh, but I personally would rather keep them as safe as possible under cover till this has finished, if it ever does.
I would not be able to live with myself if my girls got this dreadful disease and had to be culled possibly because I did not try to do everything possible to prevent it. But that is just my personal opinion and I do not wish to slate anyone else for doing differently.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I totally agree Gwen - Prevention is better than cure/cull. Whatever keeps the girls the safest is surely the very best way.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Just seen on line where within an hour I think it was dozens and dozens of Starlings have died.
Apparently a lady was driving down a lane and the Starlings were alive, she drove back down the same way within an hour and they all laid dead on the road.
Authorities have been informed and are looking into it, but they did say that Starlings were in the red zone, so not really a good thing to happen to them whatever the cause.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Oh no, that sounds awful {cry}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Gwenoakes wrote:Just seen on line where within an hour I think it was dozens and dozens of Starlings have died.
Apparently a lady was driving down a lane and the Starlings were alive, she drove back down the same way within an hour and they all laid dead on the road.
Authorities have been informed and are looking into it, but they did say that Starlings were in the red zone, so not really a good thing to happen to them whatever the cause.

This was in Wales, it looks like it could be a mass poisoning - they're being tested, but nothing to do with bird flu luckily.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant