Rosie

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Rosie

Post by Gwenoakes »

our little speckaldy hen does not seem quite right. She is the one that has been forever going broody ever since we first had her.
I cant put my finger on anything specific, she just sits about, mouth slightly open and seems fluffed up, totally different to her going broody.
Having said that she suddenly decided this afternoon to have some corn and then seemed quite bright and there was no way I could catch her, so will keep an eye on her as this only started this p.m. She has not laid for quite a while now although only young, but then some of the others haven't laid either. I only have two laying out of seven, which in itself is not the normal pattern even for this time of year.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Rosie

Post by kitla »

It may be worth worming them, that can affect their egg production, or it might be the weather that's affecting them. I would probably put some chicken vits in the water, & maybe some poultry spice or dried seaweed in the food & see if that helps. If your speckaldy carries on panting like that she might have a temperature, especially if she holds her wings out a bit. Check her poop is normal, that's the best way to see if something's wrong.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

What's her breathing like Gwen? Is she panting at all, and is she making any noises when she breathes?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

The beak open, low stance could possibly be gape worm, so I agree with the idea of worming. Maybe a drop of ACV in the drinking water (1:20)?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks for your replies.
She was not breathing heavy/wheezing when I managed to get up close and personal after dark, but her rear end was pulsing slightly, so I left her and this morning normal service has resumed and she has deposited an egg, so think it was maybe that.
I gave them all poultry spice as they have all over the winter had extremely heavy moults, nothing new there though, apart from this year they were particularly heavy moults.
I have some ACV, not given yet.
I am looking into doing worm counts with them, although all poo looks fairly normal and anything different I can usually account for in what they have been fed, i.e. more greens or fruit.
I will watch and get those worm counts sorted a.s.a.p.
Once again thanks very much.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi my spec is also behaving different and keeping an eye on her .
I too believe an egg problem.
Do not wish to over handler her as may cause a broken egg. Still eating.
Fingers crossed .
Bob
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Oh phew! They do like to worry us, Gwen.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I hope your lady comes good, Bob and yes they do like to worry us, FR.
Thanks once again to all of you.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

They certainly do {cry} Our Ruby isn't herself at the moment either, she's been like this on and off for a few weeks. She's standing about looking miserable with her tail down and her comb his gone darker on the end. Last week she rallied and seemed her normal self but over the weekend she's gone downhill again although she does seem to be eating and drinking. Sometimes its just hard to know what to do for the best.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Fingers all crossed here for Ruby, KathJ
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , my spec is not looking at all happy .
Her belly is large .
My views are EYP or tumor in side .
Metacam and med`s twice a day . Eating less as well .
Vet tomorrow if no improvement in morning hopefully.
Bob
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Will be thinking of you both today, Bob. {hug} {hug&kiss} {hug} {hug&kiss}
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Good luck - hope your poorly girls recover. They are such a worry at times and it is difficult to know what to do for the best. You never stop learning when you get into this chicken keeping lark. It's a good job there are forums like this where we can pool our knowledge and help each other out, especially when times get tough.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I totally agree Cheshire Chick. This forum has been lifeline since we started to keep these lovely girls )like( Ruby's still up and down, not good first thing and then running for the corn a bit later .ang.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Vets supply Baytril anti Bio.
Not a Cert. but the best med`s for hens when really unwell .
No egg eating though . My hen is not laying anyway .
Hope for the best and expect the worst ....
Bob