Poorly Rose

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Poorly Rose

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hello everyone - I would like to pick your brains, if I may. One of my eldest girls (4 years old) has not been very well recently and I am at a loss wondering what can be the matter. On Sunday she struggled coming down the ramp from her bedroom and then would not come out of the coop, although she was trying and wanted to, she seemed to be afraid to hop down (must have only been about 2 inches). Yesterday she was the same and was very wobbly on her legs. She is however, thank goodness, eating and I have felt her stomach and she does not seem bloated. Crop seems full. It is just not like her as only the other day she was flapping and running around the garden like a Spring chicken. I know that chickens can change and develop illness very quickly. She has had a bit of the runs, but I put that down to too many greens so I have cut them out for the time being. She has had a dose of Epsom Salts this morning. I was going to give her a bath but I feel it is much too cold and didn't want to upset her any more. Generally she is trying her best but is very wobbly and lying down a lot. Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: Poorly Rose

Post by Cheshire Chick »

P.S. I was wondering if Rose has had a bit of a stroke. Has anyone heard of chickens having a stroke before?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry to hear about Rose being poorly. {hug}
I am afraid I am no expert, but do not see why chickens do not have strokes.
Is her eyesight OK? I know if I open my ladies up a little earlier than normal and when it is still kind of dark they seem to take much longer to come out.
Hopefully someone with more expertise than I will come along and give you some idea of what it can be.
Sandra M
Lively Laner

Post by Sandra M »

Her crop should not be full in the morning as she should have digested her food over night so should be empty. Have you tried turning her up side down to see if liquid comes out her beak she might have sour crop.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks for your reply Sandra M - much appreciated. her crop wasn't full first thing in the morning and it was not full this morning so I do think she is digesting her food overnight. She is still eating quite well but still appears to be wobbly. Anyway, she has had another dose of Epsom Salts this morning and I am keeping a close eye on her.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

oh it's so hard to tell, isn't it? If she doesn't get better soon then maybe a vet visit would be best. I don't want to scare with 'it sounds like....' without seeing her, but one of ours sounded a bit the same and had Marek's. Rose probably doesn't but it would be good to get an expert opinion.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I must admit I thought the same , but without seeing her it is wrong to guess.
Vet is the best answer , baytril may help.
bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks very much for your replies. The girls have all been vaccinated against Mareks and other diseases. A thought crossed my mind the other day as in herself she seems alert, comb nice and red and upright and eating very well. I looked at her feet and they looked very scaly to me so I was wondering if it could be a case of scaly leg. I have ordered some scaly leg solution and have been using vaseline until the solution arrives in the post. I wonder if this could be the cause of her not moving much as I believe scaly leg can cause discomfort and pain??
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I haven't had chickens for a couple of years now but do remember one having scaly leg. Hers did get very sore and I ended up smothering her feet and legs in Sudacrem. The thing is to suffocate the mites that cause it and the cream being antiseptic treated the soreness as well as destroying the mites.
I had tried a few things but this worked so well and very quickly.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Odd ones of mine have had scaly leg twice now and I treated them both times with some 'special' brand for it. I did treat all the girls though, just seem to make sense to me as they are all in the same area and mingle together.
I applied the goop after dark when they were roosting with the aid of a small light and daughter to hold while I smothered legs.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks Gwen and June. You have given some good advice there and I had never thought of sudocream, something for me to try. Thanks again.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

If it isn't scaly leg then maybe bumblefoot might be worth a try.
Looking back over the thread you asked if chickens can have strokes, and I think the answer is yes - unfortunately not uncommon.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Have you checked her pads for any sign of bumblefoot? Scaly leg mite wouldnt cause her much problem, best treated with lashings of vaseline. How is she know CC?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Sandy. Thanks for your reply. We have done the scaly leg solution once, yesterday. It says every 5 days. I have also put vaseline on this morning - not sure if I should have, but reckoned it is harmless and may help as well. She is absolutely fine in herself and eating well. Her pads seem fine to. She just doesn't seem to be able or doesn't want to jump down, even a couple of inches into the run and I bring her down from the bedroom each morning so that she doesn't have to attempt the ramp. It really is a mystery to me and all I can put it down to at this time is scaly leg mites causing her discomfort. I will carry on with the solution and vaseline and see how we go.
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

Hi Cheshire Chick

How is Rose today? Any improvement with her mobility?

In your first post you said that Rose was running around and flapping like a spring chicken. If she's eating and drinking okay and there are no crop problems have you considered that she might have strained her leg joints somehow?

Two years ago, LegLeg (the name is a total coincidence!!) who was over 5yrs old, was unwilling to walk down the ramp. She was a heavy girl, weighing 4kg (nearly 9lbs) which probably didn't help. As it was our first experience of a mobility issue, we took LL to the vet. Vet agreed with us that LL had strained one of her leg joints. LL had a two-week course of metacam which helped. She's still very stiff and doesn't run around but at 7.6 years that doesn't come as any surprise!

If LL shows any discomfort we now give her a low dose of dispersible asprin (for a maximum of 7 days) which helps. Dosage was given in the Gail Demerow book - 25mg per 500g/1lb of body weight.

I've also had a couple of hens with scaly leg but it has never affected their mobility. I found that sudocrem was easier and more pleasant to apply than vaseline. It also contains Benzyl Benzoate which kills the mites. Dipping legs in surgical spirit is a complete no-no these days. {warn}

If Rose has had the runs I wouldn't give her any more Epsom Salts if it has the same effect on hens as it does on humans! {rofwl}