Olive

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Olive

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I think I have mentioned it in my diary about Olive's stomach seems very bloated. She is fine in herself, eating well and doesn't look in any discomfort, but I just can't stop worrying as it does not seem normal. I don't want to put her through the trauma (or me) of the vets just yet as she is so bright and normal in herself. I was thinking about giving her a warm bath and gently rubbing her stomach to see if she is holding egg yolk in her. I am a bit hesitant to do this as it is so cold outside and I don't want her to catch cold. I just can't stop this niggling horrible feeling that there is something wrong. Any advice would be most welcome and thank you.

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Olive

Post by albertajune »

Hope Olive soon perks up as it is such a worry when you know that something isn't right. When I had to belly bath one of mine in the winter, I brought her into the kitchen and bathed her in the sink. She was then wrapped in a towel to get the worst wet off and then dried with a warm hair dryer which she loved. She used to sit down and let me do it. She did have an egg which was got rid of after a couple of baths.
If she shows signs of being poorly I would take her to a vet as they go down so quickly.
All the best with her.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

She could have a build up of fluid in her abdomin, its called ascites I think. If its that it can be drained by the vet. If it was peritonitis she would be more poorly.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks June and Kitty for your replies. I usually bath the girls in the kitchen sink and towel dry and use the hair dryer. Think I will give this a go with Olive.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry to hear about Olive and will keep all fingers and toes crossed for a happy, healthy outcome.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

incase its helpful, apparently with eyp the swollen abdomen is hard but with ascites its soft.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes ascites is squishy like a balloon. Keep a close eye on her. If it is ascites, it can often be caused by heart & circulatory problems - watch her comb as well for a purply tinge especially at the ends. Hope it's nothing serious >fi<
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks Kitty and Karen. That is really useful information and I didn't know that Ascesis was soft and squashy unlike EYP. Funnily enough it doesn't feel too soft or too hard so I am still at a loss. I am going to bath her soon as her bottom is a mess and this made we wonder about vent gleet. Going to go down the road of an Epsom Salts bath, some Apple Cider Vinegar and probiotic and perhaps some anti fungal cream. I suppose it can't do any harm! She is so well in herself, lovely bright coloured comb and eating and drinking well and very feisty when I went to catch her this morning to feel her tummy. Said it before and I'll say it again, these chickens are a mystery to me and a massive learning curve. Thanks everyone for your input - your advice and suggestions have been such a help.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It might not be a problem with her abdomen then CC. If it's vent gleet, you should be able to smell it - it's supposed to be pretty foul - and its a yeast infection like candida I think.

https://www.bhwt.org.uk/vent-gleet/

Out of interest, has she been wormed?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

Hi CC

How is Olive today? If she's bright and feisty that is a good sign.

I'm in agreement with KarenE about the vent gleet. None of my girls has ever had it but I'm told it's pretty bad and unmistakable. +pinn+

One of my girls who has been a superb layer has always had a very big, firm, lower abdomen/'bottom' and I thought at one time she may have EYP. It turns out it's just the way she is and she's now 7yrs.8 months.

I did have one with EYP but her abdo' was very firm and she waddled when she walked.

I've had several girls who expel the yolk & white and the soft, collapsed shell is retained. They look very miserable and withdrawn. It can take a day but eventually the shell is expelled and they are then back to normal.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

How is Olive CC?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks Karen, Sandy and Jaxhen for your comments. It's all so very useful to me and much appreciated. It's still pretty much a mystery, but Olive is fine in herself, eating, washing and yesterday she jumped right up on the coop roof. I only wormed them a couple of weeks ago, so they should be OK on that front. Her bottom is messy and I am still waiting for a warmer day to give her that bath (and when husband is here to give me a hand because as you know it's a two man/woman job!!). I am really, really, really hoping that because she seems so fine in herself that it is nothing too serious (touch wood). Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.