Surge in keeping chickens interest

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Surge in keeping chickens interest

Post by Richard »

Apparently in yesterdays Sunday Telegraph there was an article about how, due to the current situation, Chicken Breeders are reporting a huge interest in keeping chickens in the back garden.

Upon reading it I looked at the web site stats and noticed that views on the Breeders and information pages have increased five times in the last seven days.
Plus the Forum Pages up three times.

Hopefully this may bring in a few new Members wanting info on this that and the other.

I have a feeling that semi self sufficiency may be about to be popular again.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Surge in keeping chickens interest

Post by Gwenoakes »

That is good unless after the 'need' to keep them does not diminish once we are through this situation.
Richard

Post by Richard »

My thoughts as well Gwen.

The fashion for keeping chickens diminished about 4 years ago.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think a lot of the members on this site kept hens or were planning to, when we joined. But we've got older, not exactly lost interest but found it harder. You do discover the snags as well as the joys, once you start.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's true Mo. I haven't kept chickens for four years and haven't added anything to the web site, all be it the information needed is still there plus google searches often find the Forum posts.

The web site wouldn't be making anything from the surge, it makes nothing now !!

But if it does bring back more interest in chickens and grow your own and possibly after all this is over, frugal living as well, that can only be good.
Also, that 'B' word coming along !! )run(

Richard
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

We'd booked a re-homing in April but we've been informed that it's been cancelled by the farmer. Don't want to think about what will happen to those girls now {cry} {cry} The email also advised about the surge in chicken keeping but also warns about keeping your girls safe as apparently some have been going 'missing' and the predator may be of the 2 legged variety yike*
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes, there have been a number of thefts of chickens (entire flocks!) particularly from allotments. It is a worrying time. I'm also hoping that the sudden upturn in interest carries on after the panic buying has calmed down - or there might be a lot more chickens to be rehomed come the autumn (if that is when the virus dies down a bit)
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

More important , it is good to read from you Richard .
Keep safe and well.
Bob
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well in our house there has been a surge for us keeping ducks. I did ponder about having ducks before I had the chickens and decided against it for various reasons, one being that I believe if you have ducks you should have some sort of pond.
Terry my husband has been beside himself with no roofing work, so after a fairly long discussion he decided to build a block house and then a good sized run like the chickens have for ducks. He assures me he can make a pond that will drain...…..I am not too convinced on that side, but as a back up we will have a fairly large kiddies paddling pool.
I really, really like ducks and love the duck eggs.
Clare's dog, Teddy can have duck eggs but not chicken eggs so it will save her buying them.
We intend to get 3 Aylesbury ducks when the run/house is completed and of course when the lockdown is over.