Chickens and Strokes

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Chickens and Strokes

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I am pretty sure that my poor little Rose has had a stroke. It has been a week now and she still cannot stand. She is eating and drinking well (from her lying down position) and is still so alert. It is hard to know what to do for the best. I have decided I am going to give her time to see if she can make some sort of recovery, but to be honest, I am not holding out much hope. Has anyone else had any experience of this kind of thing? I would be grateful for any information or advice. The difficult thing is knowing how long to leave her like this. If there is a small chance of some kind of recovery I will do all I can. She does not seem to be in any distress at all, just immobile. She can still lift her tail up and position herself so that she can lie comfortably. Thank you, in anticipation, for your opinions.

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Chickens and Strokes

Post by Gwenoakes »

From what I have read it is widely believed that chickens can have strokes, although I have no personal experience of this.
I would have thought though that if it was a stroke it would affect only one side. Is that the case with your lady?
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I think you posted recently about Rose having similar symptoms.
Yes, chickens can have strokes because of the straining to pass their eggs.
I think I said at the time that one of ours who showed similar symptoms sadly had Marek's disease and didn't make it, but you said Rose wasn't quite the same. I'm afraid I don't know what else it could be.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi CC

So sorry to hear about Rosie. Chickens can have strokes but from what I've read, it tends to be symptomatic down one side (much like humans). I've read of mild strokes being rehabbed with physio - some people make little slings and wheelchairs for the chicken to help them get back on their feet. Others will be too severe, or will have anothr stroke.

If Rosie is completely off her feet, first of all have you got one of those neck support cushions? You could try sitting her on one of those if you want to give her more time. Also make sure you are checking and cleaning her underneath every few hours - the ammonia in their poos can really burn them underneath.

If it isn't a stroke then she may have a problem with something pressing on her spine or nerve. Sad to say, whenever I've had a chicken go off her legs, it hasn't ended well. I think Rosie may need a virtual consultation with a vets, if your vet is open & knows anything about chickens?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thank you all so much for your replies. I really appreciate you all taking the time to give me your opinions/advice. I am going to give her more time so that I can honestly say I have done my best and if no improvement I'm afraid it will be a vet job - if I can get in. Thanks again.
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

Hi CC

Sorry to hear Rosie has problems again. How is she today?
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Jaxhen. Thank you for asking about Rose. I am very very sorry to say that I have just lost Rose this morning and I am absolutely devastated. She was in such a bad way this morning and was having fits. I sat with her on my knee in the garden and she passed away.
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

CC

So very saddened to hear about Rose. You must take comfort in that you did all you could for her and were prepared to do more if it would have helped. For to her die on your knee was much more preferable than taking her to the vet. At least you aren't left thinking "what if I'd done this or that" - nature intervened. Having to find a vet in the current lockdown would have only produced more stress for you.

It's upsetting to witness the fits - I can sympathise as I've experienced that a couple of times. Neither was similar to Rose's situation otherwise I may have been able to offer some advice. My husband had to dispatch one and it was a 'vet job' for the other (wouldn't let him do it as it was upsetting for both of us!).

A lovely sunny day for Rose to cross the 'rainbow bridge' .....
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I'm so sorry to hear this. It must have been very upsetting for you, but reassuring for her to be where she was loved.
At peace.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thank you.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

RIP at Rainbow Bridge, Rose. {hug}
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear the sad news about Rose {hug} {hug}

You gave her a chance, and nature intervened. You did your best and that's all we can do, and I know that never makes it any easier to lose them

Fly high little Rose {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper