Separating a cockerel

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Greenhorn
Lively Laner

Separating a cockerel

Post by Greenhorn »

So far, there have not been any takers for the unplanned cockerel that we thought was a hen! If a new home cannot be found, another alternative may be to secure some chicken wire in the enclosure, thus separating Marjorichael (the cockerel) from the hens. Does anyone know whether this is appropriate? I do not want the poor cockerel to be so sexually frustrated or "upset" at not being with the hens that he becomes unwell or harms himself. I am unsure whether this is a viable option or not. Any help or suggestions would be welcome. Many thanks.

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Separating a cockerel

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi why do you want to seperate him.
He keeps the hens in order and less hen pecking . Ok he gets up to , what ever , but it is natrual and the hens should be happy with it. You will find the hens will peck his beak and feathers to be his best friend .
If you could keep him you will find it more helpful than noit .
I had several boys in the flock together and if brought up at the same time they behave .
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes Bob, but you have a big enough flock to keep the boys busy. I think there are only 5 hens to I lad here. Not sure how much room they have to escape his attentions either.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi I would try it , in will soon settle down ,they will get favourite hens and they will be looking to be his .
If they really object they will keep well out the way .
Nature will prevail . If it does not work then a separation plan maybe good .
I believe the hens will try and get in with the boy as well .
Let us know how you get on 5 hens is enough . Not sure the ratio is but I think it is pretty close .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I think officially its recommended 7 hens to a boy. But I found that however many ours have had they stuck to their favourite 1 or 2 girls anyway. Our Bill has 2 old girls at the moment, he doesnt bother them much, but they're very much a happy little group.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Greenhorn
Lively Laner

Post by Greenhorn »

Thank you. Interesting responses. Yes, the reason for wanting to separate them is that there are only five hens to one cockerel and research indicates there should be no fewer than eight. Because of his constant attentions, the hens are now practically bare on their backs, towards their tails - with one hen looking very scraggy around the neck area. My thought was, to separate them until the feathers regrow, then allow them out together so that at least the girls have had some respite. There is nobody in my area willing to take him and I do not want to think of the alternatives. The girls all try to escape his attentions and squawk at him when he jumps on them. Their run is a reasonable size,but not overlarge, so they cannot escape too far. I had not thought about them trying to get to him - especially as they seem to want to avoid him currently. I think I'll give the separation route a try - and see what transpires. If they all become stressed and unhappy then I'll have to rethink. I cannot believe I am having this much difficulty trying to find him a good home. Wish someone would just come along and take him to a lovely flock where he and the hens will be happy. {hug&kiss}
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi not many people can have him ,hence hard to re home .
I have been lucky to find homes and keep them as long as I did .
Tail feathers are normal if a boy is with them any way ./
Neck feathers is sometimes where he grabs them for hold.
I will be surprised if some of the hens will hang around him as much as possible .
His favourites will peck at his neck feathers as if cleaning him up .
Keep telling us what is happening . Brings back memories .
Bob
Greenhorn
Lively Laner

Post by Greenhorn »

Final episode
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Yesterday we took Marjorichael to Chookies Farm in Deal, where the owner clearly knew what she was doing and was very helpful. She did not hesitate, when I called her, and said he will be separated for a while, then will then be able to roam. It took a while to get him into the cat box and was rather like a Carry-On episode, but we managed it in the end. Our boy should now be at a happy home with lots of room. Our girls should now be able to recover, rest and regrow. Our neighbours should now be able to sleep past 4.00 a.m. Hopefully a good solution for all. Phew. I needed that glass of wine last night.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi A good out come , can you visit him now and again . Have contact with new owners .
I took food and bits when I visited Desmond whilst he was alive . It was good to see him and the other animals they had . A good day out and company .
Hope you have a good relax and flock are all well .
Bob