Grass Protector

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
JMcElroy
Lively Laner

Grass Protector

Post by JMcElroy »

I'm just wondering if anyone has used a mesh type ground cover to protect their run, which could be covered with woodchips? I'm trying to avoid a wet, mucky mess this winter. Thanks.

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Grass Protector

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not put a mesh protector down, but have put a lid on the run of light corrigated sheeting. It protects against bird flu too, so two jobs in one.
The new run however has no lid on it and after quite a few weeks still has a lot of grass in it, but I have not experienced a winter with no lid, although we can shut the gate to the new run should we need too.
I have nothing down on the ground of the run, just earth in the old run and grass in the new one.
JMcElroy
Lively Laner

Post by JMcElroy »

Ok, thanks a million. Yes, I will put a cover on the run, but still feel it will get quite mucky. I see some mesh types of flooring with hemp laid down by people in the US, but as yet, I have found nothing here like this (rep of Ireland).
wendy

Post by wendy »

We never had a roof on our run.
But put down wood chips abut every 4 weeks or so in the Winter and so didn't get a muddy mess. Also our run was about 40ft x 5 ft. So plenty of space. That may have helped.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I must admit since the ducks have arrived and the hose pipe and paddling pool are run and used , the hens actually stand up to their top of legs in mud pools . I think it is a case of as long as they can get out of the mud , like a branch or a wood platform .
Not sure the length of time it gets wet for . The base layer will need turning over or digging out every so often but the hens will be so helpful for you .
Loved to watch you doing it with the flock around you .
(been and done and doing it .)
Bob
Let us know what you do and result , it is always good for ideas .
Bob
JMcElroy
Lively Laner

Post by JMcElroy »

Great, thanks all. I'll go with the run cover first and take it from there. Will let you all know how it goes. Thank you.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'll also second and third a run roof, so useful. Slanted rain and snow will still come in through the sides, so have a think about that if you're covering your run and especially where you're putting food down. Actually a meshed floor could be useful, not to save your grass (aint gonna happen!) but if it's strong enough it could stop rats tunnelling in and anything else like foxes tunnelling under. Don't forget to lay your run either on flags around the sides, or lay a mesh skirt around it so foxes can't dig under. Use galvanised wire not the usual chicken wire - that's only to keep chickens in, not predators out. we have wire under our roof as well just to be on the safe side. )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
JMcElroy
Lively Laner

Post by JMcElroy »

KarenE wrote:I'll also second and third a run roof, so useful. Slanted rain and snow will still come in through the sides, so have a think about that if you're covering your run and especially where you're putting food down. Actually a meshed floor could be useful, not to save your grass (aint gonna happen!) but if it's strong enough it could stop rats tunnelling in and anything else like foxes tunnelling under. Don't forget to lay your run either on flags around the sides, or lay a mesh skirt around it so foxes can't dig under. Use galvanised wire not the usual chicken wire - that's only to keep chickens in, not predators out. we have wire under our roof as well just to be on the safe side. )t'

Thank you. I have ordered this run which has a skirt around it. I hope it works out.

https://www.omlet.ie/shop/chicken_keepi ... icken_run/