When will they start laying?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
JMcElroy
Lively Laner

When will they start laying?

Post by JMcElroy »

I'm back with more questions. I have a Blackrock and a Maran. They are almost 19 weeks old.

I have one of the Omlet Chicken Coops, so the nest box is closed off (I have the door currently shut) from their sleeping area.

How will I know when they are ready to start laying? I don't want to open it as its extra cleaning if its not being used for laying, but at the same time I am not sure about keeping it closed as they may start laying any day. Is there a set timeframe I should be thinking about leaving the door open? Thanks.

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: When will they start laying?

Post by Gwenoakes »

My mixed breed ladies were between 16 and 20 weeks when I got them and they started to lay within about four weeks, if I remember correct.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You can tell if they are not ready to lay if the comb is small and pale. If it starts to grow they are getting ready to lay. When they are laying it is bigger and red, though it does grow a bit after the first few eggs.
Not all hens are the age the breeder says they are. Might be worth googling to find pictures of different age hens to compare.
I had Black Rocks, good choice.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
JMcElroy
Lively Laner

Post by JMcElroy »

Great, thank you. Will google a few pictures. Have been keeping an eye on their comb, hard to tell. Thank you.