Bird Flu 2020

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Bird Flu 2020

Post by lancashire lass »

In case you missed the news ...

BBC news
Bird flu: All captive birds in Britain to be kept indoors amid outbreak

Hens, turkeys and other captive birds in Britain will have to be kept indoors from 14 December to prevent the spread of bird flu, the government has said.

The chief vets for England, Scotland and Wales made the decision after a number of cases were detected among both captive and wild birds.

The risk to humans is "very low", the government said, and should "not affect the consumption of poultry products".

But in a joint statement, veterinary chiefs said "swift action" was needed.

"Whether you keep just a few birds or thousands, from 14 December onwards you will be legally required to keep your birds indoors, or take appropriate steps to keep them separate from wild birds," read the statement.

"We have not taken this decision lightly but it is the best way to protect your birds from this highly infectious disease."

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Bird Flu 2020

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you for putting this on LL.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am not surprised at this as I read the other week that there had been a confirmed case somewhere down south,
I think this will now be the norm from now on, not that lots of people will adhere to these new rules just like last time.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Gwenoakes wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 11:56 not that lots of people will adhere to these new rules just like last time.
Some people seem incapable of following the rules during a national lockdown during a pandemic so I would not be surprised if some ignored the Defra rules as well. Just like Covid, if the situation isn't controlled then it can get out of hand and in particular badly affect commercial farming - the news of the turkey cull in Norfolk must be devastating for the farmer to lose his entire stock this close to Christmas. I'm sure other turkey (and other bird) farmers in Norfolk are feeling very worried at the moment.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Not all that easy if you haven't already got a run with a roof and close enough mesh to keep small birds out.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Mo wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 22:23 Not all that easy if you haven't already got a run with a roof and close enough mesh to keep small birds out.
This bird flu has been around for some years now though, Mo. Before I had my chickens I took into consideration the bird flu and decided that if I could not protect them in most ways then I would not have them. I did not want to get chickens then lose them because of this bird flu, foxes or anything else, so we had small holed wire and a lid on the run. I appreciated that foxes or other animals if they were absolutely determined would get in despite all my efforts.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I will have to self medicate my girls as vets now refusing to see any birds {cry}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

sandy wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 19:40 I will have to self medicate my girls as vets now refusing to see any birds {cry}
Will they authorise the proscription-only dr-ugs?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Really Sandy? That’s terrible. Surely they have a duty of care to all creatures? }hairout{
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com