Keeping poultry

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Keeping poultry

Post by Spreckly »

I wonder how many of us joined Down the Lane because we had started to keep hens, or had hens? I was in the former group, and no longer have my girls.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Keeping poultry

Post by Mo »

Spreckly wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 19:48 I was in the former group, and no longer have my girls.
me too
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I joined around 2008 I think, and had just started chicken keeping. I still have three.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Back in 2007, a friend talked about having chickens so I decided to find out more when I joined. It wasn't until 2013 before I got my first 4, then another 3 in 2014 when there was a big interest in the egg sales and I couldn't keep up with everyone. Since then, all my earlier customers have gone and I couldn't justify getting more after the old girls passed on. I still have the chicken runs and may get some later, but they need remodelling as the rat problem really got to me - they did so much tunnelling and numbers increased which was quite alarming particularly as the runs are not from the house.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I started keeping in Chickens in 2000 and started the website late December of that year.
I knew my time down the lane was heading toward the end just over a year before I moved down this way.
At that time I only had three left and they were getting on. Two died (natural causes of course) and I found a home for the last one as I couldn't bear just seeing one lonely chook.

I miss it still.

Richard )t' )t' >ch< >ch<
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Glad you started the Lane Richard, it continues to be a place to find information about various things, even though our hens are long gone.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I promised myself that when I found a property that could accommodate hens then I would have ex batts, which I did a few years after 2006, they all departed and I decided on no more.
We then moved into this house in 2016 and I thought for a couple of years I think it was and then had some point of lay which I still have.
I looked for and found this site because of the 'wanting' chickens and am so glad I did. Full of info, ask any questions no matter how silly they may seem and you get a very good and varied response.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

What you might say a life changing moment , for me and joining the lane.
Well done Richard .
Bob