Chickens brought in first Lockdown being abandoned

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Chickens brought in first Lockdown being abandoned

Post by Richard »

I have to admit I saw this coming; the first lockdown being in Spring when the the weather was good got people into getting Chickens because of food shortages and big plans for the good life.

Needless to say, winter came along, no egg shortages and we have the chicken version of 'a dog is not just for Christmas'

Hen Rescue Centres and the RSPCA are being called out to pick up Chickens found wandering around.

Worrying !

''Chickens are not just for lockdown'.

Google search 'people handing back chickens brought during lockdown'. Loads of articles from around the country.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Chickens brought in first Lockdown being abandoned

Post by lancashire lass »

This crossed my mind when I saw it on the tv (the other about the steep demand for puppies) It may have started off with one person telling the media about the fresh eggs but the rest of the message about welfare got lost. Secondly, if eggs really were the only reason for getting the chickens in the first place, I'm sure the daily cleaning and feeding would quickly stop being a novelty. Winter does have its own problems as well - not just the tail off of eggs but the cold weather and dark mornings too.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I remember those days well !

I guess the Bird Flu warnings with restrictions hasn't helped, but you don't just dump them.
Totally irresponsible

Richard {cry}
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I follow a group on facebook & it has also concerned me how many new chicken keepers have been (& still are over winter) hatching chicks with little thought to the issue of the boys. I think there'll be a lot of those wandering around soon too.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

This is the first time I have heard about this. How very sad. So many thoughtless people around.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

We live in a throw away society and unfortunately this includes any animals we may grow tired of.
I expected this to happen when first hearing about people getting chickens.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

well , I don`t know why they do not ask to get them rehomed , plenty of people would take them in , including me.
Bob