Chicken Training for new coop

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
amatureleccy
Learner Laner

Chicken Training for new coop

Post by amatureleccy »

I have recently build my chickens a new coop which is on the other side of their run. I now need to wean then away from their old coop to the new coop. I didnt want to simply shut access to the old coop but thought they might transition over time once they have explored it a few times.

Any thoughts on how I can approach this without stressing them out.

Thanks

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Chicken Training for new coop

Post by Mo »

I think you have the right idea, let them explore it and chose whether to sleep in it.
Why do you want them to stop using the old one? Have you other plans for it.

I suppose, after they have got used to the new one being there, you could shut the old one in the day and only open it late evening after they would normally gone to roost. See if that gives them an incentive to roost in the other but let them into the old one rather than leaving them out in the dark.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I suspect 'chicken training' is a bit like 'cat training'. Something they do to you, not vv :-D
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
amatureleccy
Learner Laner

Post by amatureleccy »

Mo wrote: 12 May 2021, 09:50 I think you have the right idea, let them explore it and chose whether to sleep in it.
Why do you want them to stop using the old one? Have you other plans for it.

I suppose, after they have got used to the new one being there, you could shut the old one in the day and only open it late evening after they would normally gone to roost. See if that gives them an incentive to roost in the other but let them into the old one rather than leaving them out in the dark.

The old coop is now very delapidated and I am not sure it is that secure anymore. I got it second hand, did some renovations on it but it has reached end of life.

Thanks for your replies. I thinks I will start putting some tasty treats around the entrance to tempt them in.
amatureleccy
Learner Laner

Post by amatureleccy »

I went for it. On the second night 2 of the six went in by themselves. So we are making progress. I decided to force it along a bit and just shut off the old coop.

I put some of the eggs they laid the day before yesterday into the eggboxes to "show them the way" and today, two of girls used them.

So a bit of encouragement has helped.
amatureleccy
Learner Laner

Post by amatureleccy »

Eureka - they all put themselves to bed in the new coop without any input from me.

Clever girls.