Coop with a view

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
amatureleccy
Learner Laner

Coop with a view

Post by amatureleccy »

I mentioned on another post that I have recently built a new coop for my flock.

It is roughly the same dimensions as the old coop with two perches. The top perch is adajcent to a window and I notice that they are not using it. Do you think they are unsettled by the window and would prefer something with more privacy.

Thanks

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Coop with a view

Post by Freeranger »

I think it might be instincts kicking in and either they feel more exposed to predators, or they are reacting to the light levels. Another possibility is that it's a little colder or draughtier there. Or maybe the lower one is just easier to get on and off? When all said and done, who can fathom the mind of a chicken?!!
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Well said Freeranger 'who can fatham the mind of a chicken?' I certainly can't and I have had them now for years. I am sure your new coop is lovely, especially with a window. My old coop was built with a window in the nest box so I am sure it is not a bad thing. These girls just take their time getting used to things and don't like change or, in my experience, anything different. Be patient and they will sort themselves out. Would love to see a photo of the coop you have built. Good luck.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Im sure they will settle down where they fancy in the end, they are very pedantic girls arent they {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

My flock sit by the door looking out ,Sure they will when they want to.
as long as secure and safe inside .
The light mornings in the summer (should we ever get one may wake them up early and they maybe noise . When laying eggs they go to the dark holes and corners .
Bob
amatureleccy
Learner Laner

Post by amatureleccy »

Thank you all for the thoughts. They have settled in now and are quite happy on the top perch.

Thanks
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I think that chickens, like humans, prefer the easy option and so may be choosing the lower perch for convenience. At night, particularly at this time of the year, its is dark when they are roosting so I doubt the window is putting them off. They might start using it in time once they get used to their new coop.