Avian flu 2022-23

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
PK
Lively Laner

Avian flu 2022-23

Post by PK »

I thought this is worth a record in the forum. Here in Suffolk, along with Norfolk and part of Essex, we have had a housing order in place for the last couple of weeks. There have been numerous new cases every day since the beginning of September plus a scattering of cases elsewhere in the UK. The big difference this year is that there were cases right through the Summer; avian flu didn't disappear as it normally would with migratory birds moving on. Unfortunately it looks like avian flu is now endemic in our own wild bird population so isn't going away any time soon. I suspect there will be a national lockdown again fairly soon. The question is will housing restrictions ever be rescinded and are we seeing the end of free range eggs and poultry. Worth noting that the vast majority of recorded cases are in commercial poultry premises and that this is despite strict bio-security measures being required.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Avian flu 2022-23

Post by kitla »

I saw a discussion with chicken keepers in Norfolk. Apparently in some areas all chickens have to be registered, however few, & spot checks on their housing have been done - sometimes when people werent in.
I dont really understand how 2 chickens in a garden pose more of a risk of spreading avian flu than a few pigeons that regularly wander the same garden. Unless the owner works in a poultry farm. I understand if the concern is that avian flu could pass to humans, but if that was the case there would be constant advice not to handle them.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

kitla wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 21:52 I dont really understand how 2 chickens in a garden pose more of a risk of spreading avian flu than a few pigeons that regularly wander the same garden. Unless the owner works in a poultry farm. I understand if the concern is that avian flu could pass to humans, but if that was the case there would be constant advice not to handle them.
When it comes to commercial livestock, the cost of diseases is very high. It affects exports as well as local markets. High on that list for so long was BSE. That's why mass culling (whatever infectious disease, eg foot and mouth) is more a show to the world that the UK can be trusted with producing safe food.

Avian flu is not a single virus but has many variations which change when they come in contact with various animals (that may also be carrying viruses and risk of genetic exchange making them likely to be more deadly - often the case with newly emerging viruses) Take for example Covid-19 at the start of the pandemic affected both healthy and vulnerable people, and now the Omnicron variants are more likely to affect just the vulnerable while most healthy people feel like it is just a cold.

The H5N1 avian flu is particularly deadly to both wild and commercial birds. The gov.uk site currently lists 68 cases (in poultry or other captive bird) in England since 1st October 2022, and since October 2021 there have been 201 cases in total. It must be very distressing for poultry farmers particularly when they lose their stock to the disease. But many of our UK wild bird populations (especially the coastal birds) have also been devastated.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I agree its awful to see how its affecting the wild birds. A tv article about Skuas dying from it in the nest was heartbreaking, & a friend of mine saw several dead birds, including birds of prey on & around the beaches on a holiday recently. If it came to my area & some wildbirds passed it to my chickens, they would likely die, but cant fly or get out of the garden, so wouldnt spread it - unlike the wildbirds. I could spread it via my shoes, but so could the neighbours that dont keep chickens but have birds landing in their gardens. My point is that I dont see the extra risk posed by a couple of pet chickens roaming a garden. Unless its about us handling them and the risk of the virus jumping to humans.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I suspect the real worry is it jumping species, especially given our experience with the coronavirus - it does feel like the current strains of avian flu could be particularly deadly if they jump. The devastation to the wild bird population, especially sea birds whose populations are struggling anyway, is heartbreaking. I expect lockdowns will be an annual feature now. The real question is whether they will become permanent. The pessimist in me thinks they might {cry}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

that would be pretty awful wouldnt it. I expect loads of people would stop keeping them, and I guess the rescues would find it hard to rehome if they couldnt free range. If the main worry from Defra is the risk to people then they should be clearer with their advice. They always stress "the risk to humans is very low" but maybe they're trying to avoid panic.
--Immanuel Kant