Mr Fox

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
sandy
Legendary Laner

Mr Fox

Post by sandy »

Abby took a stroll outside the run this morning, in a split second I just grabbed her leg and hurled her back in just as a very large fox was making his way to her! Leapt in her run with her and slammed the door behind us much to the fox^s annoyance. He casually slinked away and luckily Abby was none the worst for wear, she just stared at him loftily and did her usual of pecking at my boots, her leg okay as well, thank goodness. We have had a baby fox hanging around a lot but definetely will not be letting the girls out until the weather gets better and the foxes aren^t so hungry. Still can^t believe how lucky we were, still shaking a bit too! :!:

stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Hi Sandy!

Foxes will be around all times of the year, more so when they have youngsters!

We always have to be alert that these things are around, get complacient and something will happen!

I have only see the fox once since having my girls last july, but i know they are around all the time!

Glad that she is safe, just take this as a warning and if you do allow them out make sure you around to watch them for their sake and yours! )t'

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Foxes seem to have no fear of people now, one reason because some poeple think they aer cute and feed them :? Rarely see one now in our garden as we have a dog, but there are plenty around,

Good job you weer there, and you could get to your Abby quick )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

Whats the saying, they only have to be lucky once. We have to be lucky all the time.
Can't blame Mr Fox he is hungry, and wants chicken for lunch
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

It was so lucky that you were close enough to grab Abby. I think it would be a wise move to keep them in the run )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Bok bok bok
Lively Laner

Post by Bok bok bok »

WOW!

Lucky chook! Good job you were so quick!

Mr. Fox will always be around, and even more so in the coming months with babies on the way.

I think keeping them in the run would be a good idea, at least unless you can TOTALLY supervise them.

Let it be a reminder for us all!

x
2 children, half a springer Spaniel, a Hamster, 2 Goldfish and an allotment. And a very excited, now mummy of some chickens again, Daisey, Dotty and Master Yoda!

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well actually she wasn^t out technically, I had just opened the door to carry in the cleaning gear for the saturday sort out and she was about a six inches out of the run waiting to see what I had hoping of course I was bearing food. The reason we built such a big home was because of the foxes and we knew we couldn^t let the girls free range much at all. But I have taken note of what you have said about the foxes being around at any time of the year. I have to admit many years ago we used to make sandwiches for them and leave them out in the winter, we rarely saw any in the summer so didn^t bother then. We naturally stopped when neighbours got a chicken run and the foxes became few and far between. Have stopped shaking now and will take heed from your comments and be ALWAYS vigilant. )t'