My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all ,
The latest in the flock of Penelope and Red.
Well my hens are running the farm now.
They have gone past the sheep pens ,past the cow sheds and right up to the pig pens...
The greet the geese .
the two rams are now one .
they managed to kill the youngest. It ate their food and died in 5 days with nothing anyone could do.
The ram is now joined by 36 this years lambs and a blind sheep and a sheep (this years one ) that got fly strike and now has a life extension as cannot be eaten when the others go off to market .
The oldest ram which I can feed and stroke has got into my large coop and wrecked it inside .
My cats are now settled . Polo the dog stays at the farm with the two lab`s and farm lady. She is fed PORRIDGE on her chair before she goes to sleep .
I take her to the caravan at Mersea Island weekends .
Now the latest on me .
Well offer excepted on a place at Lawford near Manningtree.
A ladies farm but only the 2 bed Cottage 1900 built ,needs a septic tank fitted as the one in use is in the fields and a garden with , pig pen , Chicken runs , lean to shed and a tool shed , large garden and trees that are 2 feet thick .
The cottage being sold to allow 3 bungalows to be built on a acre of land each next door on the farm land .
The solicitors are now ringing up the till bill and surveyors set to go in.
Started Tues and estimated 16 weeks . I cannot believe this as no mortgage involved and a straight cash paid . Probate is the only possible delay.
So my flock , dog , cats ,rabbit and a ferret and animals that I can rescue on the way could be homed pretty soon , well at least before Xmas.
I will leave work when I get a fixed date and contract exchange etc.
Plenty happened over the months past and the dog being caught by Security was one , sleeping rough in my van , not fun for sure , the crash up my rear end in my van and now have a VW whilst in for repair .
Whip lash .
Work is a bonus at the moment for many reasons.
My home in a 20 foot container is still 3 containers high . If I get the deal of the ladies bits I could move pretty quick . Getting the beds up a straight up stairs with a door at the bottom that has a latch might be fun.
It looks like it has had someone go to the shops and not come back , kettle still plugged in.
Ticks all the boxes but for the distance to SHMBO .Lots wanting to visit , have said the b and b rates are good .
Discount for family and friends....... Full up to those that are not ...
So scramble is still looking good , little hen is watching for the hawks in the back of the cow sheds, Eagle cannot get under the sheep hurdles keeping the sheep out , the ducks are stuck with a 2 foot padling tray , star gazer walks amongst the sheep , waiting to trampled in the stamped .White hen is going as far as the sheep runs and digging a trench along its wall sides , Red goes as far as the paddock /cow /track shed .Blue hens are shedding the feathers and looks like a fox has got them in the morning.
18 in flock I am always looking around the farm for the last wonderer to return or chase back with pokey stick or long branch which use to get them out from under the farm machinery.
Being told to get on the tracker to move things but do not want to destroy the barn. Flooded the farm by leaving the hose on . Stopped a water leak that was running continuously so made up on the water meter.
Let the geese out and poo`d on her patio , She must like me (cheap labour ) and I love it learning what to do. Not sure about sending the cows and sheep of to market ? I chased the sheep of the field and seporated the youngster from their mum`s and trailered them to the farm, sheep to slaughter comes to mind.
Well that gives you the life of Bob at the moment . Race of house against winter months.
Hope all are well and flocks good.
More again with further up dates . I see the flock ever day and spend many hours having fun.
Bob

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Sounds like an interesting life. Not sure if that is in terms of the Chinese(?) curse "may you live in interesting times"
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hello Bob. What a marvellous update. You are certainly having interesting times and it is great news that you have (nearly) secured your dream home with land. I hope it all goes very smoothly for you and you can move in as soon as possible. You must get some photo's of your new abode and of course all your animals once you are all settled. Very best of luck to you.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

SHMBO has a video of the property inside and the gardens
Lots to do.
My flock are at home at the farm.
Red has a hiding place and it took me half an hour to find her yesterday.
She popped out of the giant stinging nettles .
Ducks have to fight to wash in the large tray as the sheep are using their washing water to drink.
Moulting blue bells.
Little hen and big hen sticking together.
Stargazer is as noisy as ever for no other reason than she can.
Stampeding sheep are always to be watched out for.
The farm chickens are being naughty as they do not see why they are being locked up when my flock still have freedom and a view of the paddock .
More to follow .
Polo the dog is now a sheep dog in disguise.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , still about.
Flock all having fun on the farm , wandering around the paddocks and sheds with 36 sheep and 8 cows . The ducks have a morning walk prior to their morning dip in the large tray of water .
Have put sheep hurdles around the coops and runs .
Due to many reasons I am filling feed buckets , humping hay and feeding the ferrets.
Polo the Staff is fed , porridge before bed , chicken , tripe and liver specially cooked , Her farm name is Po , I call her Polo and her previous name was Polly.
2 lab`s for company , hates the sheep and will not go with me to the flock .
Eggs are 6 a day with at least 1 duck egg .
House wise . Survey shows a lot of work needs doing .
Border not shown yet as part of the property , but may move forward on Monday.
Still what you might call homeless , no own roof over my head .
Surviving well but all change in October which is going to be interesting .
Scramble the naked neck hen is noisy and pretty black.
White hen has moved most of the straw from inside the shed by the walls and made a trough. Red has still managed to get to the stinging nettles in the paddock and 3 hybrid hens follow her and keep her company.
Litalen (Beardie ) is broody again Eagle the brahama is my largest hen and again very pretty looking one.
2 blue bell hens are moulting and feathers ever where.
having two coops they are all changing from one to the other .
Most important Stargazer (Seagull ) is still running around in circles head back and looking at me from the right hand side . She gets about a bit and has been recovered on the drive , cow sheds and the sheep shed. I think she does get a bit lost .
How I still have 16 hens and 2 ducks in my flock is amazing , they are surely free ranging and a quality of life they would never of believed to have . No foxes have been around . None have wandered off and got lost .
They are enjoying the last of the sun wings spread and happy .
Cleaning them out tomorrow .
Will be spending plenty of time with them Sat and Sunday .
cats are seemingly well looked after but do not get the time to see except when I pay for their keep .
Must get out and visit the girls sometime but time is just not time.
Hoping all are well and flocks are as good as they can be .
Stay safe , the covid 1 is not finished yet , be warned .
Having my flu jab in Oct and get the 3 jab as soon as I get the chance.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hi Bob you will have to get SWMBO to send video to me via whatsup?
Brilliant all your little family are going strong especially Stargazer.
Gonna need your new address soon the tins of custard are piling up {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

BOB WHERE ARE YOU??????????
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , still here.....
taking my holidays and dropped out.
living NOW in a caravan at Orsett.
Perfectly happy (ier) than recently .
I lost a hen on Monday 6/12/2021 to sour crop PTS at the vets.
Also a tragic loss of Eagle my hen from a chick to a FOX . did not go to roost with the others .
My fault as had the 3rd jab and felt so rough and did not do a proper check after dark.
Still looking for a home in the country . A few near misses , one sorry I did not get .
Another local to the area I am in.
Polo is at the farm with the flock now 16 (2 ducks are laying still and quackers..)
I lost my cat Darcey at my brothers , got run over ,broke my heart buried in his old hunting grounds .
Indie and Lexi (now Rex ) are bringing mice into there current home which is very annoying to the careers.
Cookie the rabbit is still well and in a heated summer house and running around the garden.
Still working (sort of 2 days a week rest days till Xmas and then back to normal after Xmas .
Looks like I will be working probably till March as 12 weeks to complete a house.
Spoke to sandy and wish all a good Christmas and a healthy new year .
I have gone from one end of the life scale to the other and to be quite honest other than a permanent residence it is pretty good . some are saying to comfortable and no pressure on me to change.
To much choice to live at.
Will continue my flock probably in the new year .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Great to hear from you Bob. You're a true downsizer now! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I really hope you find the house you want, something will turn up.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

It's great to hear from you Bob. I have been asking Sandy about you. Sorry to hear you have not secured the perfect house and land for you and your animals yet, but I am sure the right property will turn up for you and hopefully very soon. Sounds like you are ok in the caravan though and perhaps chilling out a bit after all your hectic adventures. As always, good luck with the house hunt and keep us posted. Very sorry to hear about your cat and the loss of your hens. Always an upsetting time. Take care of yourself. Very best regards, Louise.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Cheshire Chick wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 11:28 ISounds like you are ok in the caravan though and perhaps chilling out a bit after all your hectic adventures. As always, good luck with the house hunt and keep us posted.
Not too chill I hope.
Were you blown about in Arwen & Barra?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

a samsung, an iphone or a pc Bob put it on your christmas list {rofwl}