Sandy's Pink Ladies

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Sandy's Pink Ladies

Post by KarenE »

So sorry to hear about Charlie Sandy {hug} And also sorry to hear you've been having some sour crop problems across the board. Somebody wouldn't be sneaking your girls bread or anything while you're not there would they?

As you've been having a bit of a torrid time lately with illness and losses, I thought you might like these - I'm not sure which Jurassic this is, but I know we have Rita Ped, Lottie and I think Ronnie?

Image Image Image Image

These are smallish sizes so if you wanted a bigger size to print etc pm me and I'll dropbox you a link
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lottie, Rita Ped, Ronnie and Charlie in that order, i have pmd you
They are stunning Karen )like(
Lots of girls head flicking today >coc< no fleas or mites on them! Miriam very liquidy again and found crisps in Ped run yike*
Girls had veg and prawns which i bought for them specially(i hate them) everyone got at least one except Cyd! I am hoping upon hope i know her problem , found a bunch of grey feathers so fingers and toes crossed that is her problem.
Ho hum
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Lovely photos Karen, interesting effect, somehow more "real" than normal pics, Lottie looks very characterful.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Miriam Ped had been getting worse with her crop , really worried about her wednesday morning as she was coughing badly. Had to got o work all day so took a video of her and sent to Mrs Ped telling her Miriam needed vets. Told her to go to my vets and pretend Miriam was my girl. Surprised I got a call in the afternoon from the vet , surprised because thye had actually heeded my advice, telling me Nera (this is her Ped name) had mycoplasma and needed tylan by syringe was i okay with the treatment. Of course said yes, Miriam was given a tylan injection and could come home if she was kept seperate. Told Mrs Ped put her in the eglu area, the connecting door is stiff and the ground has risen by the door so hard to close but best place for her. When i got home Miriam was in the end area where my newbies all sleep , apparently neither Mr or Mrs Ped could close the door ! I managed it and moved her to the eglu area. I attempted to give her tylan orally which i wasnt happy about as previously i had given it to Milly many years ago and they go into full choke mode yike* Well Miriam did, sat with her for ten minutes really expecting her to expire , to my great relief she settled down . My Ronnie is now the same and as i have been giving my lot tylan in their water(thankyou Bob) decided to now tylan the Peds waters. Miriam stayed the night , clever girl found her way to bed up the ladder easily. I gave her tylan in egg yolk in the morning and left her with us until i got home later. Not wanting her sisters to forget who she is i decided to put her back in her own home . Mrs Ped was in her veg garden , she said good job i had text her and not Mr Ped as he wouldve had a fit at the bill.
Well Miriam is a bit better, Ronnie a bit worse and the others not exactly 10 per cent , still some head flicks! Cyd still moulting, a very slow moult and no blue eggs for 3 weeks now.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Sandy , dont get to low on the tylan , it may take a couple of days to get some , I have another bottle I kept for myself the same size , will half it and post if needed.
I am sure with your skills they will improve or at least get the best attention they could get .
Chickens , anyone that has had them will understand the emosions that bring on.
Keep well and well done for dodging the virus especially the work that you have been doing .
Confidence in meeting and getting close up to people again is going to take time.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How are your girls doing Sandy?
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Since i last posted(whoops a long time ago) Miriam is back to health. Everyone has been up and down but bacially ok until a few weeks ago not happy Merle still shaking her head a lot so decided to get her checked again. Becky my fav vet has been furloughed so she saw Megan. Merle's crop was fine but she was concerned she had lost weight and her intestines were quite thick. She had some meds to come home with and as she had done a poo sample in the carrier would i like Megan to send it off. Said no at first as knew it would cost a lot but relented as wanted to so the best for her. Hmm £172.90 for treatment, meds and poo sample!
Last saturday night Ivybelle Ped was straining like mad to lay, she went in the coop igmoring all treats. Sunday morning she was obviously in pain, so huge and red at the back end. Told Mrs Ped who said oh dear. By 5pm she was very bad so i told them i was getting her to the vets. This time the vet was the lovely Robyn. I waited in the car and text Mrs Ped who said you must let us know how much the bill will be. 10 mintues later Robyn came out in the car park holding up a huge egg, Ivybelle had had the egg stuck sideways in her, ouch, she was very bruised and sore inside so would need to be kept separate and have metacam for the pain. Robyn gave me the largest metacam she could , she was as pleased as i was Ivybelle was okay, we were both convinced it was eyp. I popped Ivybelle in the sickbay in my run(the run Lottie and Dottie previously lived in) and gave her some metacam in egg yolk as sure she wouldnt want me shoving it down her mouth after her ordeal. I was just coming out of the run when the phone went , it was Megan with the test results of Merle's poo. They found traces of cryptosporidium, i had no idea what this is but was told i should have Merle culled, move all my firls out and burn down my whole run yike* How she got it i have no idea, i clean my girls religiously . I was so shaken I told her thanks and i would get back to her, well i havent. I looked it up on google which terrified me even more. MonicaRose, Myfawny,Madeline and Cyd all have little headshakes while old girls Audrey and Ronnie get liquidy now and then so obviously they all have it as it seems Merle has had it for awhile! I let Ivybelle stay in sick bay over night but got her home the next day as dont want her getting it and taking it to her sisters.
What a terrible shock but made the decision be it right or wrong to carry on as if i hadnt had poo sample sent off. They are all eating, drinking , dustbathing, Cyd still moulting and no blue eggs. Merle head shaking dosent stop her eating and seems to have put on weight. i have plenty of metacam and i a m sure i will know when Merle isnt enjoying life anymore. so they are all in it together. I wondered if i had done the right thing this monday morning as Ronnie was spewing out liquid and hunched up, this was at 4.45 am, ran in and got dressed and rushed her up vets, different one again, well after paying £160.29 was told they could find nothing wrong with her, she must have spewed everything out and her crop wasnt smelly, true enough when i got her home she was absolutely fine >coc<
Well Ivybelle cost £84.20 and Peds havent asked me yet! I have been bathing her bottom as she has had discharge and giving her her meds, got bit fed up with this so text them and told them they needed to give her a nice warm bath in their sink and by the way you cant eat her eggs for 7 days. Text back to say bathed her in a big container which they had popped in their run for me to use! Luckily her bottis is clear now and meds stopped.
Rehoming starts again June 27 but obviuosly i cannot have any new girls until the very last of mine has gone and i pull my whole run comes down {cry}

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh my word, I did some googling too and OH MY WORD!!! Any one of us could have that in our flocks, the symptoms vary so much. I've read the only thing that might be of use is to steam clean everywhere as they don't survive temps beyond 65 degrees. So get hold of a steam cleaner and go over absolutely everything - burning your coops and run down isn't really an option surely?
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy . looks like trouble . The right thing to do as they are all in the same coop . Right not to get any more unless the rescue hens have a death sentence and a few months alive with you would be better than none .
I have a steam cleaner I can get to you attach it to a hose and away you go .
Maybe an idea to use it in there whilst being used .
How many of us have it and are living with it in ignorance .
Probably many of our hens have died with it .
Is it a DEFRA reported illness . If not than no one is going to knock on your door to cull them .
Keep us in the loop .
A lesson learned , sometimes better not yo know what is wrong with our hens .
is it common illness and if you go and get more rescue hens are you likely to have the same problems .
Keep us informed and if you need help you only have to pm / phone . (I have a charity fund money should any be helpful for you (bills etc .) food pellets always able to get and deliver as required .
As always will help as much as I can , you have helped the hens so any help you deserve.
As another thought , you are in contact with BHWT , they have a hospital which I have been helping funding , with your contacts maybe than can advise more .
best wishes .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

hi Sandy how`s it going .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob see your diary....
All ok, Ivy Belle Ped had large egg stuck in her sideways £82 at vets got it out, Ronnie croaky but ok ,effects of crypto, and today she started massive moult. Got through a lot of melons this week in the heat!

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy , You are having an expensive time .
Need any help I will bring some pellets down etc .
(Before I get re locked up again . )
Keep well .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I've PMed you Sandy )t'
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Karen the photos are stunning, have downloaded , thank you so much :-D
oH I am so behind with my diary, on hols for 2 weeks whoch means i have 2 mondays and 2 fridays off, wow >coc< so after a on and off have wifi...
Girls all fine, I wish! Biggest spending ever on firday night, Merle very head shaky , stank of sour crop and Madeline hunched with eyes closed falling over! Phoned vets and got them up vets at 7.30, had to wait 15 or so minutes in which time Maddy was falling over head bent right over, I rang vets again and told them to get a move on.
They both had to stay in over night, Merle to be emptied, they didnt have time to do it for awhile and although Maddy had perked up when out of cage she started listing again.
Phone call 8.00 am net day to say they were both on clavy meds(massive tablet form yike* ) Merle was emptied but filling up again would need to see an expert on exotics, told them they had Becky,Tom and Andrea who were the experts but 2 are furloughed and Andrea in their practice 12 miles away, hmmm so why wasnt she sent there? No i would have to take her to Swindon, 55 miles away to see someone! They were rather uncaring, Robyn who had seen them before wasnt working for a few days so i am now seriously looking for another vets. Merle obviously has a weakness in her crop or a growth so will treat her as long as she isnt in pain. Now Maddy came home just as sick, in tears of frustration i took her up the house and gave her the tablet crushed up in fishy cat food. She put her head up and ate the food as if she was starving, and hey presto since then has been absolutely fine. Merle beginning to resemble Amanda-Jayne so i will be getting daktarin.
In the meantime the Peds have four new girls, meant to be Point-of-Lay but too young, still chirping. Luckily they havent been badly attacked they stick together and the grey one is rather bold. Mrs Ped's fav Linky, a silver link is neck rolling so i massaged the dear little girl. Told Mrs Ped she needs to massage her regularly, i honestly cant get invovlved I have just spent over £500!
In the meantime have done a couple of rehomes, latest one in a carpark in the wind and rain, so the girls werent kept cramped in their travel crates for too long we put some in dog cages and bless Hele and Anna they had estate cars and put 20 girls each in their back seats, though of course the girls found their way to the front, wish i could still upoad photos, a real hoot!
Will post of other posts later but meds time now for the girls....

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy , hope you are good and well and all your flock .
Bob