Bridget's Mum's Fabulous Flock

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Re: Bridget's Mum's Fabulous Flock

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Second Henniversary Blues
Well, the second henniversary has been and gone - not quite as triumphant as the first. I thought I would be celebrating with Iris, Titch and Olga but poor Iris was found dead on her henniversary morning. It wasn't a total surprise - she has been slowing down considerably, but I wish she'd hung on for her party. At least she had a really good day out free ranging the previous day and as ever, was the last one to turn in for bed.
Today there has been endless fuss from the run because a cockerel pheasant keeps hanging around and the girls are not impressed. (I didn't write cockerel there, the site changed it!)
I'm down to seven chickens now. The run looks a bit empty.

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

So sorry your Iris didnt get to her party but as least you know that she was happy right up until the end. {hug}

Lovely to hear from you again just so sad you post is an unhappy one {hug} Thinking of you and hope your'e ok {hug} {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So sorry you have lost your Iris {hug&kiss} Hope your magnificient 7 enjoyed themselves, which of course having such a lovely home I am sure they enjoy every day
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Thank you Linda and Sandy. You're so supportive, you always make me feel better. {hug&kiss}
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Beautiful Titch
A little update on my lovely Titch, who is one of the two survivors of my original 5 ex batts who moved in in September 2011. Titch blossomed during her first year and despite being tiny laid many, many huge eggs. She gave up laying around Christmas last year and looked set for a happy retirement as flock leader Pearl's ever present second in command. She seemed to cope well after Pearl was pts and struck up a friendship with Iris. Then at the beginning of summer she was became really unwell and I was certain we would lose her. Happily she fought back although she has lost the confidence to cope with the new feisty chickens and now lives with Coral in the small coop. Coral was also a very poorly chicken so maybe that's the basis of their excellent relationship - they can compare ailments!
Here she is on arrival and after one year. She was obviously far better feathered in Sept 12 but still hadn't made full plumage. Not surprising really given the amount of eggs she was laying.
Image_url[/img]
Here she is now in September 2013. Fully feathered at last.

She had a brave hour out today and enjoyed some sunbathing and inspecting the late flowers.

And here's her new best friend Coral
At her most poorly poor Coral was in a much worse state than Titch in her first photos, but antibiotics are wonderful things and she is now bright as a button, although she won't go near the raptor bunch.

Both Coral and Titch are lap sitters and we usually have a little moment and the occasional sneaky treat when the others are safely off on their free range adventures.
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Sunny Sunday
The girls have had a hard day ........ One egg was laid and then the serious business of sunbathing began.

Portia, Jenny Jones and Torah

Nemo

My daughter decided Coral should also enjoy the sun and lifted her bodily from the run. After anxiously hanging out on her knee Coral relaxed enough to have a little sunbathe herself - provided her humans kept the other chickens at bay.

Once the human protection lessened Coral spent a couple of hours in the yurt (mostly on my bed). She was joined for a bit by Titch but I didn't get a photo.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I just love it when they sunbathe, they get that glazed look in their eyes and resemble 'zombie hens' {rofwl} Wouldn't it be great if the battery egg boxes had to put on a picture like Titch on their boxes! Thank goodness she has such a lovely life now with her Coral
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Bridgets Mum wrote: (I didn't write cockerel there, the site changed it!)

There's a horse forum I go on that just replaces the fowl language with asterisks. So I write 'sock' instead. Much more entertaining.
Life's too short to quarrel
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Post by Kuikentje » 04 Oct 2013, 19:33

Bridgets Mum wrote:
(I didn't write cockerel there, the site changed it!)

There's a horse forum I go on that just replaces the fowl language with asterisks. So I write 'sock' instead. Much more entertaining

Sock it shall be Kuikentje!
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Somewhat depressing post
Since my happy post last month about how well Coral and Titch were doing, I have lost them both. I was so proud of how they had fought back from their illnesses; they had beautiful feathers, perky combs and Coral had put on huge amounts of weight. Titch remained titchy. Then Coral had a couple of subdued days before fading away last week, and Titch followed her this morning. My two friendly lap sitting chickens gone. I now only have Olga left from my original five and she's totally disinterested in having any sort of conversation with me. At least she lives happily with the raptor bunch and is insensitively delighted to be able to get into Titch and Coral's protected zone at last.
On a happier note I have bought their Halloween pumpkins ready for Thursday. If the raptors don't like them (they're not as adventurous in their food tastes as my originals) Olga will have two pumpkins all to herself.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Aww I'm so sorry {hug} It's heartbreaking when you lose them just when they are looking and seeming so well.
LYN
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw Bridget I am so sorry you have lost your Coral and Titch {hug&kiss} Such beautiful girls. I know you now need to focus on Olga and gang or the grief will drive you mad, I still cannot look at photos of my lost girls at the moment or I will be sobbing. I will keep calling my girls Amanda and Elsa, Elsie out of habit but the good thing are the wonderful memories of their individual little characters that your Coral and Titch, and Iris all had along with their happy lives {hug}

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Thank you Sandy. Comforting words as always. I think one of the things that bothers me most is how the flock dynamics are forced to change when one of their members leaves. Different alliances, slightly different routines. My poor girls have had to do a lot of adapting recently. My 'new' girls (aka the raptors) flock hierarchy seems to keep shifting, but my oldies had very definite friendships and sometimes included me! Miss them.
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Oh, what a shame; something we have to get used to, I fear, it's bad enough with dogs and cats who live a lot longer anyway. But think how much longer they've had to enjoy life than before they were rescued, and how much better that life has been.
Life's too short to quarrel
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

So sorry to hear you have lost one of your girls. So sad , they do pull at our heartstrings and we feel their absence . I miss my Dandelion everyday as she was like my little buddy and went everywhere with me , chatted to me and waited for me by the backdoor when i went indoors.

I hope youre ok {hug}