Bridget's Mum's Fabulous Flock

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Bridget's Mum's Fabulous Flock

Post by KarenE »

New girls! How fantastic! They all look in pretty good nick, I bet your tiddly ones soon catch up with their more fuller figured mates. I hope they all settle into a flock nicely. My biggest hen Toffee (who was MASSIVE) did make a bid to be top hen - she made my little gabby's life hell when they first came home together, then tried to fight my teeny top hen Nugget, who was having none of that and soon put her into place (she had to jump up to do so). It's so funny seeing how big and small girls work things out in the pecking order.

Here's hoping everyone settles down quickly >fi<
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bridget just catching up on dtl. lovely new girls )like( Now you know we will want more regular updates than your recent tardiness don't you {warn} {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Happy Integration at Last
Well, after what seems like many hours of chicken refereeing my 13 girls all seem to have found their place in the extended flock. The six new ladies are still sleeping in a separate coop within the Walk-in-Run attached to the big hen house (old shed) but all barriers are down and all 12 chickens are waiting at the gate in the morning. The thirteenth is the hysterical bantam who has moved in with us and she's inclined to hang back until the big bad human is out of the way before she zooms out. Boy is that tiny hen fast! She's probably at the bottom of the pecking order but gets to snuggle between Jenny and Torah (mostly) at night which must give her a feeling of great security after her previous experiences. The rest of them certainly aren't arranging their pecking order by size - totally agree with your comment Karen!
It's so funny seeing how big and small girls work things out in the pecking order.

The new girls have yet to discover the delights of mixed corn, which is what I use to reward the good chickens who come to call, so getting them back into the run can be an event. They are totally not shoo-able so my only successful tactic so far is gently pushing them in the right direction - while bent double under a multi stemmed plum tree. It's like pushing a jelly up a hill but it works and nobody gets upset. I'm just praying the corn addiction kicks in soon, it works so well on the other ladies.
I've been trying to get some lovely photos before posting. Apologies to Sandy. Bad diary poster!
TOPIC REVIEW: BRIDGET'S MUM'S FABULOUS FLOCK
Post by sandy » 19 Oct 2014, 19:32

Bridget just catching up on dtl. lovely new girls )like( Now you know we will want more regular updates than your recent tardiness don't you {warn} {rofwl}

I shall try and do better!
This is Portia. She came from BHWT in April 2013 and rules hen house, dog house and recently........ the cheese on toast that my husband was eating at his own table in what he thought was his own house.

These pictures are of the new girls' first day free ranging.
Brave Astrid leads the way............

And amazingly brave Roxy makes it right to the far side of the chicken paddock
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Love the pics and i LOVE Portia's tail! Can it get any more upright?? The new girls are looking really well, I'm so glad they've settled in and you have a nice calm pecking order now

the cheese on toast that my husband was eating at his own table in what he thought was his own house

Silly man, fancy thinking that! I'm sure he's seen the light now. We let Casper out in the house yesterday when we got back from the vets and she had a good old explore before she meandered her way outside again. You just know they're casing the joint for a home invasion don't you?
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Hey Karen
Your Casper and my Portia and Tessa must never get together. Home invasion won't be enough for them. I'm putting blocks on their iphones.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bridget they are gorgeous )like( I agree with karen, what a superb tail on Portia. I just love all their names too. It is fascinating watching them explore, and the relief when they can all be together.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Post by sandy » Yesterday, 21:53

Bridget they are gorgeous )like( I agree with karen, what a superb tail on Portia. I just love all their names too. It is fascinating watching them explore, and the relief when they can all be together

Aw thank you Sandy. I am rather smitten with them. Chicken naming is such fun too especially when all the family gets involved. I couldn't agree more about it being a relief when they finally all accept each other. Happy chicken days.

Here are all the brown ladies, old and new, happily mooching together

And here a little mixture....

They're still in separate bedrooms though. That's the next challenge as I'd really like everyone in the henny shed for winter. Maybe I can move the sleeping coop into the shed.

You know the saying 'measure twice and cut once'? Obviously it's helpful if the second measurement is checked by a competent third party.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

OMG who is that beautiful lady helping with her new home? I am so envy}} at the amount of space they have to roam over, just dont let my Gwen view your diary yike*

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

I am so envy}} at the amount of space they have to roam over,

We were VERY lucky to be able to buy that little piece of land behind our garden. Major thanks to our most excellent previous neighbours who took a lot of trouble to make it possible for us.
It was only because of that extra space that we welcomed our most recent group of ladies. My existing little flock was perfect and I hadn't planned on getting any more chickens but when I saw a Lancashire rescue was coming up I felt it would be mean not to give a few more ex commercials a chance of a bit of fun in the sun.
Now of course I am totally smitten and can't imagine not having them. Lucy is naughty and wants to find her own roost at bed time. We have to keep a close watch on her once daylight starts to fade although she is getting more consistent about going to bed with her sisters. Heather is cheeky and the most likely to spend a lot of time with the oldies - generally tripping me up. Last to go to bed. Beautiful Roxy also spends a lot of time with me but is the first to go to bed. I've panicked on a couple of evenings thinking she wasn't in the run, but she was already tucked up in the coop. Olive likes pushing her way into spaces she can't comfortably get out of, and has a major squaaaark until we rescue her. Chestnut is a lady, keeps out of trouble and loves scratching around under bushes - listen for the rustling and so find Chestnut. Last of all is beautiful Astrid, the glamour girl, who glides around looking stunning, never a ruffled feather in sight.
just dont let my Gwen view your diary yike*

Gwen most certainly hasn't fallen short on the accommodation front. Your run is bigger than most people's gardens and she has you for her mum.
OMG who is that beautiful lady helping with her new home?

The white lady in the picture is Tessa (Contessa). She is my dad's chicken and into everything. I missed a really good picture of her in the shed today, perched on the big circular saw and really looking like she was searching for the on button. I didn't tell her that it was disconnected from the mains and that a pedicure was out of the question. She and Portia have spent quite a bit of time in the human house today. Just checking.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh my goodness, thank goodness she didn't find the on button or that would've been crispy chicken strips in barbecue sauce time! yike*

I think Contessa is a born leader, she certainly has exacting quality standards judging by the look on her face. Given Portia's exploratory expertise, she and Contessa could be a deadly combo if they are getting into your house. I bet their practising their distraction burglary techniques.

Thank goodness you've confiscated their iphones. I dread to think what they could teach the other henpals if they were, say, in communication via illicit henpal diaries .ang.
Karen
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Given Portia's exploratory expertise, she and Contessa could be a deadly combo if they are getting into your house. I bet their practising their distraction burglary techniques.

Portia has come down the dreary and unused weird bit of land between us and the neighbours. I've never seen one of the chickens down here before and it gave me quite a start to see her on the windowsill, evidently casing the joint. Maybe just accessing a wifi signal.
Should I be worried?
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Should I be worried?

Well if you're not, I am!!

{rofwl}
Karen
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

by KarenE » Today, 13:26

Should I be worried?

Well if you're not, I am!!

{rofwl}

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I just love the expression on Portia's face, I reclon she is one very smart young lady. Gwen may have a big run but NO GRASS the nearest they get to it is living salads!

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

by sandy » 28 Nov 2014, 20:29
Gwen may have a big run but NO GRASS the nearest they get to it is living salads!

Sandy - I bet the proportion of chickens who are given living salad is microscopic. Gwen's a lucky gal!

Here are some of the girls on New Year's Day wishing you all a very happy 2015.