karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Beautiful Karen! You are very clever and the photo's have turned out amazing.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Short update from me. Mango is slowing down, she is geting very fussy with her food and will only eat grapes and bits of tomato, and had sweetcorn the other day. I am trying to tempt her with mealworms, mash, pellets and corn but she won't have them. Poos are not looking good so there's something up with her and i suspect internally as she's showing no obvious symptoms. I do feel sorry for her because if that wasn't bad enough, there will be war declared on saturday as we bring 2 new ex commercial girls home! I'm hoping this gives mango a second wind as she fights to make sure she isn't bottom hen, but of course if she's ill this might not go in her favour.

Dory and Pokey are both absolutely fine, the teflon twins. Dory has started her annual 'guess where I'm laying my egg now' game. One in the ivy on the patio, another in the fern. I am sure she layed yesterday but haven't found it so far. I must check Sage's nest, that has always been a favourite place for all my hens ever since Sage founded it all those years ago.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Mango is now in the downstairs loo overnight. She has barely moved all day, hasn't eaten a thing but has been drinking. I just couldn't take the chance of her being attacked in the night so she is tucked up in bed in a box. I'm afraid she wil be leaving us in the next day or so, maybe even tonight, bless her. {hug} {cry}

We do have 2 new girls; we picked them up today and they seem sweet little things. They are best buddies already by the looks of things, and settled down to sleep on the chair in the run - I've been out and brought them into the coop where Dory and Pokey are. We've had shouts and skwarks and all sorts of protests but no chest bumping or close quearters action through the wire - that wil all come tomorrow probably. One of the new girls is extremely talkative and gives as good as she gets skwark-wise.

Tomorrow could be a very interesting day! But tomorrow or a day very soon after will also be a sad day as we say good bye to Mango after a year and a half with us.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

So sorry to hear about Mango Karen. What is happening to her reminds me of how one of my girls was before she went. So sad but hopefully she won't suffer for too long and will leave you with lovely memories of her life with you. Fingers crossed she might pick up but we do have to be realistic and they don't have a very long life anyway. As long as she is comfortable and is loving the attention you are giving her, that is the most important thing now. Bless her! Good to hear the new girls are settling in, hopefully all will soon be friends when the pecking order is sorted. xx
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , same from myself , 4 year marker .
I would love to know the percentage of hybrid rescue hens that pass the 4 years .
I have had a few that go to 5 years but not many .
The sisters 12 I have only a few left . One is swollen bellied and like Mango doing the chicken things but no that her time is limited . she is with F M and Goldie who has more troubles than enough .
ops wrong thread ….
I wish you well and though a upsetting time , do not be sad on yourself as you as always do the best for your close friends .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Mango the wonder chicken is pottering about the garden at the moment. She did spend 2 nights inside, looking extremely poorly. Her comb was shrivelled and purple right the way through, I really thought she was a goner.

Turns out she has sour crop (as we know this can be a signal of a deeper condition though). I noticed a terrible smell coming from her but tbh I thought it was poo but turns out not! i picked her up a little awkwardly and fluid streamed from her beak. I'd been giving her a lot of water so figured it was that. A day later did the same again and off she went again. I tipped her properly and some bits came out but not much as she hadn't eaten for days, but the smell was foul! Anyway, she perked up enormously and went off into the garden, even eating a smidge of mash and mealworms. I did manage to get some daktarin into her on some sweetcorn kernels which she gobbled up, then put herself to bed with Pokey and Dory.

yesterday she was back to purply comb and not eating - couldn't get sweetcorn down her with daktarin - but again back to bed with P&D and this morning, comb is lovely and she's stuffing her face in the garden. She's scoffing half a cherry tom as I type. Let's see what tomorrow brings, she does seem rather up & down. Crop has been flat the last couple of days so maybe whatever it was has worked its way through. Or maybe there's another thing deeper down which is still going on. We'll take each day as it comes

P&D are coping quite well with the interlopers in their coop & run. They sneaked up out of bed before me yesterday and were 'asserting their authority' over the 2 new hens so I don't think that I need to worry about there being a coup in the coop. Dory continues to confound with exactly how she made it to top hen and how she manages to stay top hen! She's also laying in the fern, it's her new favourite nest.

The 2 newbies seem very sweet, they are as thick as thieves and seem to do everything together. They are ex free range so in much better condition than many we've had, and a first - their faces and combs are already bright red instead of that horrible pasty colour so they are used to being outdoors. They have dug a massive hole in the run and chucked all the soil out onto the path so they are going to destroy the garden when they do come out. They are not going into the coop by themselves to sleep yet so no free ranging for them quite yet, plus I want to make sure mango is well enough to withstand any attacks on her. We haven't named them yet. They are still not sure of me - I spent about 15 mins in the run with them yesterday and they are wary.

Photos wil follow, one day!
Karen
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

where did you get the new girls Karen? I couldnt find any local rescues happening. Good that Mango has perked up. Bill had a phase of being "sick" for no apparent reason, then he got better & I have no idea what caused it. >shrug<
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Fresh Start For Hens were doing a rescue at the weekend so I reserved a couple and we went to Ellingham (?) on the way to Huntingdon to pick them up. All socially distanced! we had an appointment time. They are having more rescues in June & July so put your name down if you're after some newbies. )t'
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Mango is up & down - yesterday and today are down days {cry} I'll see if i can tip her again, her crop was starting to fil up a bit yesterday and was a bit liquidy this morning, but nothing came out when i tried to tip her (very carefully!)

P&D both very happy, in their own little ways. I watched this morning on the 5am liberation run, just to see what was hapening in the run and whether i could get up later! Pokey was up with the 2 newbies and chasing them round the run with a few pecks so not too bad there. Dory is a lazy lump and stayed in bed for ages, then when she came out she gave everyone a right good peck.

The 2 new girls really want to come out now, but since last night is the first night they've put themselves to bed, it's too risky that they'll hide away in our garden overnight. They are already associating me with nice things and have been eating bits of grass, grapes and tomatoes out of my hands! Still no names
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all will work out in the end as you have seen many times .
keep well
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Mango's been having a couple of up days so that's good. Comb still a good colour, but she's still not eating much and seems to prefer tiny bits of food. Yesterday she had some of dory's softie, which she enjoyed, and a few ground up mealworms. The problem is she wants to take her time with food and of course that just doesn't happen! I have been giving her a sweetcorn kernel with a bit of daktarin on it so hope that is helping to keep the crop balance. I've also been putting acv in their water but they don't seem to like that much

Mango is also holding her own with our newbies, Smudge and Coco. After a week of seperation and the two newbies not ging to bed in the coop AT ALL!! they finally managed to get the hang of it, which meant they could come out yesterday! Well, they are loving it to say the least! Although they weren't best impressed when the massive storm came along. Luckily they were in the run so I popped them all to bed and all were fine. Not too much fighting from everyone so all in all it looks like we're settled.

Smudge and Coco are very inquisitive and friendly, especially Smudge who gets right in your face and was eating out of my hand within a day or so. she loves grapes and strawberries. Coco is fonder of tomatoes. Both have been all over the garden, investigated al the nests and had a good scratch about.

Photos to follow :-D
Karen
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Lovely to know that you have re-homed two more rescue girls Karen. Looking forward to the photo's!! )like(
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Mango is preferig to spend her days in our kitchen now, hovered over the cat's bowl. She is going downhill rapidly, to be honest it's a miracle she's still alive the amount she eats. I think it wil be a matter of days, but I have some Harrison's recovery formula arriing today so maybe that willl help, if i can get it in her. She is so fragile now and has lost so much weight. Still holding her own with the newbies though!

Here she is last week enjoying better health, and scoffing berries from a bush in the garden:

As was Dory Grey:
Between the 2 of them they've stripped it!

The 2 new girls have settled in nicely, and are growing in confidence. Coco is really starting to come out of her shell. They both are very friendly and inquitive, although dont get to spend much time with me as P&D are very protective of their main treat source. Coco has had a sit on her dad's knee already!

Here's Coco exploring the garden:

And Smudge having a drink of water:

They have already learned that they LOVE strawberries, grapes, melon, sweetcorn (cobs and tinned) and apricot. Peach today!

And of course we can't post photos of the girls without a lovely photo of Marley!

The main news this week, apart from mango's ill health and probable demise, is that we have had a visit from Mr Badger, who has managed to tear away some of the wire from the girls run and damaged the door of the run. Luckily he wasn't able to get in. We've strengthened the wire, the door and closed the pop hole door which was left open and we think (hope) blocked off the entrance point to the garden. He did manage to get into the neighbours coop though and had 2 of their girls, as he visited 2 nights on the trot {cry} I thought the first night the rats were back, and luckily fixed the loose staples, so it looks like he came back to finish the job on night 2 and interestingly enough did more damage!

Bag of nerves! I'm thinking of getting electric fencing to further protect the run.
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Badgers as well as foxes now to worry about .
It does not end this chicken keeping game .
Sorry to here the neighbours loses . How fortunate are you , Does not bear thinking about .
Good job the wolves , bears , big cats etc do not live in Britain , maybe someone will re introduce one day …
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sad to report that Mango passed away this morning, after a long illness. Not sure what it was but I suspect heart problems mixed in with problems affecting her crop - probably tumours. We brought her into the house earlier in the week where it was warm and I could at least try to get water and some recovery formula into her, but she shut down. {hug} {hug}

Pokey has seemed a little out of sorts lately, not that I have seen much of them due to caring for Mango. I am wondering whether it is the combination of stress from the badger visits and the sudden disappearance of mango from the flock (I was bringing mango out for visits during the day) not to mention the strains of keeping two very active uppity upstarts in place! They've all been on a week's course of tylan as there was a bit of huffy breathing going on, at the same time as mango was, and all treated for lice so hopefully that will sort whatever the problem is. I'll keep an eye on her and treat again for lice on Monday to break the egg cycle.

Smudge and coc are reallty coming out of themselves now! They have stripped my raspberries the little tinkers (I dont mind,t hey were chicken accessible on purpose, most of my main crop are at the lotty) and are loving the occasional strawberry and goseberry. They havent quite got the hang of mealworms and mixed corn as trats which is no bad thing. I definitely overfeed treats, and their dad is a beggar for giving them unhealthy stuff. They come racing over to see us now when we are out, and Coc has even been on knees - after treats of course, not to see us!

No signs of the badger since last week - touch wood our system seems to be workng. There seems to be a suddden splurge of badger activity in the village, not sure what is going on! Our neighbour opposite has been getting visits, we think that is where it's coming from. Our neighbour to the side has his electric fence up now - I was thinking of getting one but the other half wasn't convinced so we have bought a new chicken guard automatic pop hole opener and self locking door which should arrive in the next couple of days. At least the 3rd line of defence should be secure if the bandger breaches our first line (garden fence) and 2nd line (run) >fi<
Karen