karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by KarenE »

It's been ages since I posted on here! Pokey has moulted - well, is moulting, and is looking in a sorry state although seems quite happy in herself. She seems to have half moulted so I'm wondering whether she'll lose the other half when these new feathers are fully grown in.

Dory has joined the party and is shedding feathers at a rate of knots. The tail is almost gone, but not the wig yet. Bless her she is slowing down a lot lately, probably the effects of the moult but I am wondering whether she has a bit of arthritis in her legs too - she has always had gammy legs and a limp, and she is definitely struggling a bit more. No bumbles which is good!

Coco is also moulting, although very gradually. One of the Twins is still laying - not sure which one. Smudgie hasn't been well lately - puffed up, messy bum and yukky poos but eating fine - and has had quite a few cuddles which I think she quite enjoyed. I found lice on her too a few weeks ago so they were all harkermectined. I'm now worming them all in case that is the problem with Smudge - she may also be getting ready for a big moult.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Nice to catch up with you Karen and glad everyone is doing Ok during this moulting period. I was wondering where everyone had gone // forum seems quiet at the moment. My Violet is also slowing down and we were a bit concerned about her a while ago. She would amble around the garden and then stop for a nod. I started giving her some Poultry Spice mixed in with her food and I have really noticed a difference (long may it last). Do you add Poultry Spice to your girls' food?
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi CC!

I do add poultry spice whenever the girls are having mash, which I do as an occasional treat as they love it. If anyone's appear under the weather or are struggling to get food (because the other greedy guts get it!) then I whip out the mash and it goes down a treat. I'm worming them at the moment, just to add to their misery - saw a nasty looking worm in someone's poo so thought I better had - and I need to harkermectin them again to break the egg cycle. Smudgie is also moulting too, so I think that's what's wrong with her - fingers crossed anyway! They are having lots of mealworms at the moment, and the odd tin of sardines as well - I'll give them another this week, they could all do with it by the looks of them! Apart from Miss Coco who seems pretty hardy in her little moult.

Yes everything is very quiet. I know Sandy has problems getting onto the forum on her phone, and Bob's away now from work so he won't be able to log on much.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's been so wet and miserable, and with the evenings getting dark so quickly, I've hardly seen the girls. Dory, who is moulting heavily now, is doing her usual moult-related disappearing act and lurking in the depths of the garden, only venturing out for treats and trying to figure out ways of getting them without anyone else bustling her.

Pokey still looks like a pillow with half the stuffing come out, coco looks pretty much the same as usual and Smudgie is also moulting. Hard to tell whose feathers are whose between the Twins, but I have quite a nice collection of tail feathers now as they've all gone. Not a tail left in my flock!

I did manage to get out with the camera a few weekends ago, before the mouting got too bad, so here are a few pics to drool over:

The first 2 are Coco:

Dory Grey in black & white:

Marley:

And Pokey lurking under the bushes and behind Dory:
Karen
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Excellent photo's Karen - really enjoyed looking at them. You are a very good photographer. )like(
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi pleased all ok and love the photo`s
Catch up soon .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

All ok with the Ginger Ninjas. Pokey's having another moult spurt - wing feathers now - as is Smudge. Dory's in the growth stage but will lose feathers again soon, and miracle of miracles Coco is still laying!!

Dory's personality always changes when she moults. On saturday she decided she needed to sit on my knee for a while, so she hopped up onto a knee, then hopped down again, and then decided to get up again once Pokey was settled. So after about 5 mins she decided she didn't like her knee, she wanted Pokey's knee, so she crept underneath her and shoved her off! Then she decided she didn't want to sit on my knee at all, but wanted to go higher and ended up precariously perched on my boob for a while, dozing and looking very happy. Unlike Pokey.

I think she secretly wants me to kidnap her again and give her big cuddles. I think Smudgie might be the same!

Marley has been very active lately and catching rats, bringing them into our garden (this is not where she catches them!) and then playing with them. The 2 I've seen have still been alive! I am assuming & hoping that she is finishing them off somewhere in the garden, and not letting them go. Normally I would rescue them - birds and mice - but of course not rats! She is very pleased with herself lately
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Karen not commented on your latest photos on here( lock down end so i can pop up north and sort out posting my photos with this expert) I know I keep on but they are worthy of National Geographic )like(
Could you please send Marley down here, I have more rats than the Pied Piper had to deal with }hairout{
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

All very quiet here and of course with lockdown starting on Monday this is the last time for a long while (probably) that the girls will have free reign of the garden. I've got my footbath and disinfectant all ready - virkon - and just now need to break the news to the girls, stock up on things to keep them amused and then figure out a way of opening their run door without them all piling out. I am not looking forward to this at all, but looking on the bright side at least I can treat the hardy weeds with some weed killer while they are away (if the rain ever stops!)

The poor things spend all day down on the patio these days, waiting for their dad to let them into the utility room when he is having a smoke. They all chuckle, preen, sit on his knee and snooze. Coco passes the time by playing solitaire on his ipad which must be quite annoying as he is usually in the middle of a game! Must try and get it on camera, it is really funny. Apparently Smudge quite likes a go too.

Moulting still continues, everyone has made it to the wing feather stage now and Dory has at long last moulted her wig! Coco bless her is still laying, can you believe it!

Good luck to everyone's flocks through this lockdown and of course hoping everyone and their flocks stay safe.
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Good to hear the girls are good x2
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Merry Christmas from me and the Ninjas )x3( .santa. >el< x2

Hope everyone is having a lovely and safe Christmas, and here's to a happy and healthy 2021 for us all. )hic(
Karen
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

)like( And to you
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

A belated Happy Christmas Karen. Not been able to access The Forum lately!!! Just wanted to thank you for all your support and friendship with regard to this Chicken keeping business. It means a great deal to be able to 'talk' to all you wonderful people, who are a source of comfort (when things go wrong) and knowledge. All the best for 2021
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Beautiful, gorgeous photos....you are so professional, made me cry opening the feathers {hug}

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Gosh it has been well over a year since I updated my diary! The sad news of course that we lost Dory and Coco last year, and with the long avian flu lockdown didn’t get new girls until recently. Very upsetting to lose both girls but especially Dory, and things just haven’t been the same without her.

We decided to get a couple of posh birds at Point-of-Lay then maybe some ex batts later this year. Quite worried how pokey would react as she has been out of sorts since last year, with a firm and slightly large abdomen. But she’s ok at the moment - a little moult going on (early!) but she’s kept her top hen easily & with minimum fuss unlike Smudge who is being a holy terror! We picked up our new girls 2 weeks ago tomorrow (Sunday) and they’ve settled in well. Matisse is a Rhode Rock, like Remie was, and she’s Mattie for short. Bluebell - which ma6 not be her name - is a Bluebell. Both are so friendly and adorable. We had intended to get a new Remie and of course to pick up another cream legbar ( or a Devon blue / bronze as our usual place doesn’t seem to stock legbars lately) but they weren’t due in for a couple of weeks & we didn’t want to wait or make 2 trips!

Pecking order is pretty much settled although smudge continues to be a massive p i t a. From today, no more getting up at the crack of dawn!! )c(
Karen